Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS vehicle transmission compatibility (Q)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS vehicle transmission compatibility (Q)

I have a 2000 Vette and I'm thinking of swapping the engine and trans into my 2005 Avalanche. The Vette I'll either sell as a roller or part it out, and get an 'adult car'. But I'm hoping to keep the investment in power I've made.

The Vette has a forged LS3 with a blower, and the trans is a built FLP 4L65E level 5 transmission. About 750rwhp, 650rwtq. The motor has the 24 tooth reluctor.

The Avalanche has the 5.3L motor with the Z71 4x4 option, I believe the 2004 model had the 4L65E transmission also, not sure about the 2005. I've had both front and rear differentials rebuilt under factory warranty - needle bearings fell out of the carriers - a supplier glitch. I now tow a horse trailer with this and it has to work hard to keep 60mph on a long uphill with about a 5,000 load, though the tow rating is 8,000 lbs.

Will this work?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:40 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Short answer No. The engine swap is possible and will work out ok but the trans is a whole nother story. The avalanche has a standard mid mounted trans that mounts right behind the engine. The vette uses a rear mounted transaxle.

The engine will swap between the two but I`m not so sure about the supercharger. I`m guessing that the supercharger is designed to work with the vette accy drive setup and I don`t know if that accy drive will clear the truck.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

selling vette as roller?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Body
Short answer No. The engine swap is possible and will work out ok but the trans is a whole nother story. The avalanche has a standard mid mounted trans that mounts right behind the engine. The vette uses a rear mounted transaxle.

The engine will swap between the two but I`m not so sure about the supercharger. I`m guessing that the supercharger is designed to work with the vette accy drive setup and I don`t know if that accy drive will clear the truck.
Thanks for the info, I had thought the trans were close.

Roller or parting out are two things I'm thinking of, but I'm pretty far off from that yet. Difference in value between a roller and a driver is more than a motor, so I have to think that through.

Quick Reply: LS vehicle transmission compatibility (Q)