Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all a-body owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Calling all a-body owners

I'm starting a 70 chevelle and I have a LQ-4 with a 4al80 auto there are not but a couple that I have seen with this trans in there projects.LS1 chevelle and chevellepower? That is in a 68-72 body. I was wondering what motor mounts and if they had to do any trans tunel mods or us a special oil pan. By the way I have f-body pan and plan to run my air.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you had checked the sticky and faq at the top of this section, you would have found a thread with many of the A-Body swap, a few have the 4L80e being used.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...2-gm-body.html
Old 03-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Default Reading

bezee I did read the sticky at the top of the page.As far as the things I asked about they where not in there builds. ls1 chevelle said he has 03 6.0 but does not say what pan,mounts or any of fine details. Chevellepower? the young guy from florida with all the engine problams didn't give them either.It all maybe the same but it didn't hurt to ask guys with the same setups .So it gets done right the first time.Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hpadder
Chevellepower? the young guy from florida with all the engine problams didn't give them either.It all maybe the same but it didn't hurt to ask guys with the same setups .So it gets done right the first time.Thanks
ya learn from the mistakes.. my trans fit right in no problem,, only had to move cross member back,and shorten drive shaft.. my motor mounts are home made.. i have easy access to the back of my bellhousing.. i copied the demension off of here somewhere for the motor mounts.. i plan on running a 6l80e in awhile.. but the 4l80e is awsome,no problems with it..i started with the same setup you have.. oil pan it home made,, cut 3 inches off the bottom,welded flat plate. i posted a new pic of the clearence i had..the old truck pan got smashed by railroad tracks, dump my oil, spun the bearing..
Old 03-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Chevellepowered,hey man thanks for taking the time to respond and thanks for the info!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Champ oil pan, Trans-dapt mounts, short & wide engine mounts, custom trans x-member, S&P headers, factory colum shifter.

The trans cooler return line fitting needs to be modified for floor clearance.

No fit problems.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

hooker LS/A body headers, Hooker mount adapters, Caddy CTS oil pan/tray/pickup(minor tie rod interf., but not much) AC is a problem
4l80e Trans, a little minor floor bumping, cut the mount off the x member, moved the x member under the tail housing, welded the mount on the back side of it, make up a driveshaft
i used an 04 trans, rear return line location, marked the stock fitting to point to the front, welded a #6 AN 90 deg on to clear floor, used a #6 AN to 1/4-18 STRAIGHT thread fitting from ATI Perf Prods. for the front fitting
i used a carb on mine, so i used a Compushift controller to run the trans
i could have fabbed everything up, but getting old and lazy, so i let someone else fig it out and bought from them, lol
i can tell you the O/D trans is the greatest thing i added to the car(besides the supercharger, lol)
i also used an Abbott mech speedometer converter, but if i knew the Compushift had a speedometer feature, i wouldnt have bought it, and saved $300
good luck
Old 03-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Launching!

home-made BMP style plates( from a Sticky link with blueprint) with Energy Suspension mounts.F- body pan.F-body exhaust manifolds with home-made copper gaskets and 3- bolt pipe flanges with O2 bungs!! Pan sits about 1/4 inch higher than crossmember and bout 1/4 inch behind it for clearance...exhaust goes in with plenty of room even from top of car.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hpadder.. The only think you many find consistant is that everything when mixed, will be in-consistanct. Differnent plates, mounts, frame mount all will change your project install and findings as compared to others.

Mixing and matching part will only add to your confussion.

I used 1/4" steel to fab up my BRP style adpater plate, Modified my Frame mounts and use EnergySuspension Tall / Narrow to add some height to help clear the CTS-V pan and it is only hanging about 1" below the x-member. My Trans crossmember is the stock TH350 with the tab cut and flipped over. Edelbrock swap headers.

good luck

Quick Reply: Calling all a-body owners