Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help with a 5.3 vortec swap...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help with a 5.3 vortec swap...

hello all i am currently in Afghanistan so i am sure the info that i am asking for is covered hear but i dont have then net long enough to search for it... what i am looking to do is put a 5.3 in my 1967 firebird... i have the motor already lined up that has 30k on the clock and includes everything... a turn key i guess... what i would like to do is put a t-56 behind it but dont know what my options are as far as this motor goes... i dont want to run with the big blocks becouse i want some fuel econ as when i get back this will be my dd i hope... also does anyone know what will be involved in the swap to the vortec what parts that i will need to start to get... thanks for looking and sorry for the long post....

mark
Old 03-19-2009, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well your basic problem is getting it to fit under the hood.

Motor mount adapter plates are available allover the net including fleabay so that isn't a big problem.

The 5.3 from the trucks have an inlet manifold that is at least 3" taller than the LS-1 from the Vette or the F-body, so you will probably have to change out the intake and rail to LS1 type.

The next problem is the alternator on the truck engines - it is mounted high on the engine and probably will hit the hood too. The solution is to use the F-body accessores on the 5.3. The only accessory that is common to the two is the alternator- everything else has to change

Most trucks use the electronic thottle too. If you use it on the LS1 style manifold, the bottom hits the water pump so you will have to grind one or the other down to fit. You will have to find a pedal assy, control box and harness for it too. You can use an LS1 throttle body too, but the tuning guys will have to chime in and tell us what can be done to the box and the harness to run the cable controlled throttle body.

Oh yeah, there is the 5.3 oil pan issue too. It is about 3" lower in the bottom sump than an F-body pan and will hand below the chassis. The f-body pan has more clearance, but may interfere with the cross-member. I don't think you'll be able to get around modifying one or the other.

You will need the T-56 and clutch for the LS1. The input shaft and the front bearing housing are different than the LT1 because of the clutch design.

The header and fuel system issues should be a well travelled path - you should be able to find plenty of information on this website.

Good luck and be safe in Afganistan