Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC removal on a third gen ls1 swap???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AC removal on a third gen ls1 swap???

what do i have to do to get rid of the ac on my 84 trans am? its just taking up space and i dont use it, we dont have a whole lot of hot days where im from...anyway it has an 02 ls1/t56 longtubes etc. any help would be great!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default a/c removal

Originally Posted by firechicken76
what do i have to do to get rid of the ac on my 84 trans am? its just taking up space and i dont use it, we dont have a whole lot of hot days where im from...anyway it has an 02 ls1/t56 longtubes etc. any help would be great!
not sure this is what your looking for but when I've searched "1LE" on Ebay a few people are selling an non A/C under hood box to get rid of the a/c evap underhood - and will make more room and cleanup the firewall check them out the sellers may be able to give you more info. sorry but here in TX we need A/C - hope this helps
Old 03-26-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zman1969
not sure this is what your looking for but when I've searched "1LE" on Ebay a few people are selling an non A/C under hood box to get rid of the a/c evap underhood - and will make more room and cleanup the firewall check them out the sellers may be able to give you more info. sorry but here in TX we need A/C - hope this helps
those look like they are for a first gen sbc? wouldnt i need an ac delete for an ls1?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default a/c delete

Since they never put a LSx in a third gen your gonna have a hard time finding a delete for that, the one im speaking about is for SBC . I dont know if they had AC delete for 4th gens but they probably wouldnt fit your third gen.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The heater box/AC delete box you'll want from a thirdgen bird/camaro. I remember skimming across a thread on thirdgen.org about some guys using a box from a chev van (G20?) with a bit of extra sheet metal added. Might look into that because of how stupid expensive the AC delete boxes get from vendors/ebay. I bought both my boxes for under $50 for the pair and I see them on ebay going for close to triple that! Crazy.

The compressor itself, just yank off and toss/sell. Same with the condenser in front of the radiator.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iansane
The heater box/AC delete box you'll want from a thirdgen bird/camaro. I remember skimming across a thread on thirdgen.org about some guys using a box from a chev van (G20?) with a bit of extra sheet metal added. Might look into that because of how stupid expensive the AC delete boxes get from vendors/ebay. I bought both my boxes for under $50 for the pair and I see them on ebay going for close to triple that! Crazy.

The compressor itself, just yank off and toss/sell. Same with the condenser in front of the radiator.
it looks like the third gen ones have a pulley on them?

i could just make a plastic cover with bolt holes in it right? to go where the ac was?
Old 03-26-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Thirdgens have a AC delete pulley that bolts in place of the stock compressor because they originally used a serpentine system that included the compressor. If you took the compressor out you'd screw up the belt routing. You needed a pulley as a place holder. With an LSx they originally used a separate belt for the compressor so you can just get rid of it.

If you want to get rid of your heater/defroster/blower motor you can just pull it all out and put a flat panel (plastic, 'glass, metal, whatever). If you want to keep heat then you'll need an AC delete box.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thirdgens have a AC delete pulley that bolts in place of the stock compressor because they originally used a serpentine system that included the compressor. If you took the compressor out you'd screw up the belt routing. You needed a pulley as a place holder. With an LSx they originally used a separate belt for the compressor so you can just get rid of it.

If you want to get rid of your heater/defroster/blower motor you can just pull it all out and put a flat panel (plastic, 'glass, metal, whatever). If you want to keep heat then you'll need an AC delete box.
deffinitly dont want to get rid of heat. ill get a delete box
Old 03-26-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cant i just make a flat panel?? why does it stick out like that?
Old 03-26-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

The piece on the right is the blower motor. That's what circulates the air into the passanger compartment.

Inside there is the cage (squirrel cage, bird cage, whatever you want to call it).

That's what really takes up the space. It's "seal" against the firewall it what makes the air move around, much the same way the water pump works. If you're thinking about just mounting that directly to the firewall and have the cage inside there wouldn't be much, if any, circulation of air.

The piece on the left that looks like a male connector is your blower motor resistor. That's what lets you have multiple speeds on your fan. AC cars have four speeds and non AC cars only have 3.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so i need that if i want to keep my heater? it circulates all air throughout the car?
Old 03-26-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where is it on a 4th gen??
Old 03-26-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Yup!

EDIT; Where is what on a 4thgen? The blower motor? Same spot it is on a thirdgen. Passenger side firewall. You just can't really see it because the cowl covers most of it.

Last edited by iansane; 03-26-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok. i got the a/c delete panel out of a non a/c car, it is the same thing i posted a pic of, it also has the hampster wheel in it.

but i was looking at my a/c and it looks like if i removed it the belt wont fit anymore! so what size belt do i need?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/inc/sdetail/12165

hahaha, yea i see why my system is differant than a stock ls1.

so how do i remove my huge serpentine belt? and what size is a stock belt? ive got a 25% ud pulley too.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

From that picture it looks like you could just use a stock tensioner in the stock location and then grab a belt that fits. Have a friend with a wrench stress the tensioner so it's halfway through it's motion and run a piece of string/tape/old belt in the pattern you want and measure that. Then hit up a parts store for the required length. You'll probably end up test fitting one or two before you get the right length.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From that picture it looks like you could just use a stock tensioner in the stock location and then grab a belt that fits. Have a friend with a wrench stress the tensioner so it's halfway through it's motion and run a piece of string/tape/old belt in the pattern you want and measure that. Then hit up a parts store for the required length. You'll probably end up test fitting one or two before you get the right length.
ill just go to schucks and buy a belt. its probably robbing power going around that compressor.

Quick Reply: AC removal on a third gen ls1 swap???