Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple Swap Questions

Hey guys, I'm planning to do an LS1 swap into my 83 Malibu Station Wagon, and I had a couple questions.
1.)Which computer should I use? I'm looking to just use a VATS box for security. Does this mean I cannot run certain computers? Does a vette computer wield more power than say a Camaro computer?

2.) I have a detent shifted 700r4 that I plan on using until I can get a T56. Am I going to have an issues running it behind the LS(Besides strength). Like I said, it will only be temporary until I get a 6 spd. for it.

3.) My plan is to buy a stand alone harness. What does wiring up the A/C involve? I saw there was an option from the guys I was buying it from, but I'm not sure if it's worth having them do.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-31-2009, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeeperanthony
1.)Which computer should I use? I'm looking to just use a VATS box for security. Does this mean I cannot run certain computers? Does a vette computer wield more power than say a Camaro computer?
I'll take a swing at #1... (Someone correct me if my memory is off)

For the same year/engine, the computers are the same - i.e., a 2001 Vette with an LS1 will use the same computer as the F-body. The programming inside the ECM will be a bit different, but the ECM itself will be the same.

The VATS box can be used with the F-body computers, since the F-body computers' VATS can be duplicated with an analog signal (hence the VATS box). I'm not sure of other applications that can use that... I wanted to use one with my swap, but that went out the window when I got my engine.

The Vette ECM itself doesn't have any more power than the F-body ECM, but the parameters in the tune are probably a bit more optimized than the corresponding Camaro/Firebird tunes. Nothing that a custom tune couldn't duplicate.

I'm less sure of the info for your other two questions, so I'll let someone else handle those...

Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This swap has been completed a couple of times. You might try a search. Most of the information is already printed.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ibu-wagon.html