Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 - Picture reference for connections

Old 08-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, a couple of questions about the above. I took some photos of my setup:

This is right below the MAF. I don't appear to have the connection that the other photo has above (that connects via a short plastic line). Do I just need to block this off?

Where exactly do I connect this (red capped fitting)? Do I need to weld a bung on my intake that I'm currently fabricating?

Any idea where to connect this plastic fitting near the throttle body? I guess I'll connect the metal tube to my radiator port, as shown in the second pic...?

Also, my engine didn't come with this Evap Emission purge solenoid. Do I need this for the engine to operate correctly? Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my first time messing with an LS3 installation.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Teching In

Regarding the "Vehicle speed" connection, I think that it would go the vehicle speed sensor on the transmission (if it has one---not sure about the T56, but electronically controlled auto transmissions do). My understanding is that the engine does not require vehicle speed sensor output to operate properly, but if you were using an auto trans, the trans controller or TCM would use that output, and also you would use that output for an electronic speedometer.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by daniel76309
Regarding the "Vehicle speed" connection, I think that it would go the vehicle speed sensor on the transmission (if it has one---not sure about the T56, but electronically controlled auto transmissions do). My understanding is that the engine does not require vehicle speed sensor output to operate properly, but if you were using an auto trans, the trans controller or TCM would use that output, and also you would use that output for an electronic speedometer.
The T56 has a Speed Sensor on the left rear of the transmission. The same area as the reverse lockout solenoid. I have read the PCM needs to see a speed signal or it can cause stalling issues.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Teching In

I went and rechecked...According to the instructions that came with my GMPP controller kit, vehicle speed sensor output is not required. This may not be true though if you are using a production operating system.

I would get the hose you are missing--it is for your PCV system (see PDF attachment).

You can just block the plastic evap fitting on the throttle body.

Yes, connect the steam tube back to your cooling system. That fitting on your radiator is a good place.

You don't necessarily need to weld to your intake (regarding the red capped fitting). I just drilled the appropriate sized hole, and threaded in an NPT fitting, using a little RTV silicone to seal.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
UpperEngine.pdf (78.4 KB, 1058 views)
Old 08-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't do it without you guys. A few follow-up questions:

I do have the following connection for the PCV system.

However, unlike the photo on the previous page, which I copied below,
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...3/DSC07544.jpg
the plate under the intake on my engine doesn't appear to have that connection (see the first pic at the top of this page). My engine is an L76 with an LS3 top end (in case that makes a difference), assembled by a shop in Florida . How or where should I connect this to if I don't have the same connection below the intake?

The T56 magnum has a VSS sensor on it, so maybe I should mate these two connections together. I need to somehow run a signal back to my Dakota Digital gauges as well.

Do I need this Evap Emission Purge Solenoid mentioned on the first page? If so, where does it connect to?
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...3/DSC07534.jpg

This port is also capped at the back of my driver's side valve cover (pic copied from the previous page). Do I need to connect it somewhere if my engine is an L76 with an LS3 top end?
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...3/DSC07532.jpg
Old 08-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Any takers to the above post? I'm kind of at a stand still...
Old 08-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Teching In

When I was trying to figure this out I did a search on "LS-3 PCV system" and found some information that way. I think I remember reading that with the LS-3, changes were made in the PCV system because earlier systems had problems with oil consumption. I am no expert on this subject so I don't know the answer, but you probably are going to have to read up on it and figure out something in order to make it work on your particular combination. You can't be the first to put an LS-3 top end on an L76--perhaps you could do a separate post asking that question specifically?

You don't need the evap purge solenoid for the engine to run. My car is old and didn't come with any of that stuff, so I just removed the solenoid and blocked off the vacuum port on the throttle body.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Ahh, I gotcha. Thanks Daniel - I'll see if I can do some more research in the interim.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could run a hose from the rear of the driver's side valve cover to that port under the MAP sensor. The LS3 uses a different valley cover that has a port in it and the other motors just use the port on the driver's valve cover to vent "dirty" air to the intake. Either get the ls3 valley cover, run the short piece of hose to the intake and cap the left valve cover or ... Route a hose from the driver's valve cover to the port on the intake under the MAP.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Default One last help identifying a missing connector

i, we are installing a LS3 connect & cruise package in a Viking. We did all the connections, except a connector labeled "CRANK". I isn't de CKP connector because it is labeled as "CKP" I really apprecciate your support.
Attached Thumbnails LS3 - Picture reference for connections-crank.jpg  
Old 02-27-2015, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wdiegogarcia
i, we are installing a LS3 connect & cruise package in a Viking. We did all the connections, except a connector labeled "CRANK". I isn't de CKP connector because it is labeled as "CKP" I really apprecciate your support.
Yes. That plugs into the Crank Position Sensor. It is located on the pass side of the block, just above the starter.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Delayed response but was wondering if someone could help. I'm ditching the stock valve covers for fabricated aluminum. The new covers do not have the PCV port on the passengers side, that leads to the intake tube. I do have a catch can. Will the system work without this PCV port or will I need to have one added?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Delayed response to you -- that port allows metered make up air to enter the crankcase to 'make up' for the pull on the case through the pcv connection. If you don't allow air to enter the crankcase, you'll pull a vacuum on it----and it wasn't designed to operate that way.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:34 PM
Teching In

I know this is an old thread, but just want to say thanks, great info here and it helped me get all those sensors connected.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I agree great old thread, I'm installing my GMPP harness now. Wish photobucket was still active. Damn pics are gone. Anyone have updated pics of sensor locations ?? Thx

Last edited by DT69cam; 09-13-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm interested in this too as I'm still learning about the LS3 I'm putting in my SLC.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know all about that coolant temp sensor. Every time I forget to plug that thing in when I start my car, I get high idle and the fans all turn on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS3 - Picture reference for connections