Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding swaps & NY state emissions inspections

Old 04-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question regarding swaps & NY state emissions inspections

I'm looking to do an LQ in a 96 caprice. Since its obd2 I don't get sniffed but I get scanned at every yearly inspection.

For you guys with 96 and later cars, how does this work ? does the shop type in the vin and/or car make/model to match the ecm/pcm ? Does the inspection machine care what vehicle is on the scanner ? do I have to have a friendly inspection guy hook it up, ignoring the fact that he's not inspecting an escalade lol.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't tell you what NY does, but I can tell you what EPA says.

A swap is legal as long as
1: the engine you are installing is from the same year or newer vehicle
2: the engine you are installing is the same or larger displacement
3: the engine is installed will all of it's emissions equipment intack and working (cats, F&R O2 sensors, electric smog pump, EGR, fuel tank pressure monitoring)

If all these conditions are met the swap is legal, which means you cannot dellete codes for AIR and EGR if the engine had them in the vehicle you removed it from, it all has to work or they will know it when they connect their tester. As far as the VIN in the PCM, I'm not sure. I would say don't chnage it as it tells them what the engine/PCM came from.

Re'
Old 04-10-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have to contact the authorities in the state you live in. suppose to be federal guidelines, but everyone seems to enforce different rules. Like you are not suppose to swap engines between trucks and cars. Don't know if an Escalade is a car or a truck.

There are exceptions to the "all emmisions equipment in tact and working". Specifically cats. CA makes an exception and doesn't require pre cat cars to run cats. Can start fires that way. But then what do you do with the rear O2's, and how do you delete them from the computer if you are not allowed to change the program?

I have heard of guys who tried to do things by the rules and got their swap disqualified because they didn't have ABS sensors. Guess some computers use them to bump up the idle on a rough road.

I tried contacting the emmisions inspection places in my state to see what the rules were on my swap. They told me since the car was more than 25 years old that they had no rules on it. Called a half dozen different state agencies and no one could answer my questions. Figured it must not matter and swapped in a crate motor. What emmissions equipment is needed on a carb'd crate motor?

I guess my point is you have to please the authorities who will be inspecting your car every year.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

I passed inspection with flying colors pretty much if you car doesnt have any codes you will pass. I went to a place in LI and they plugged up my obii port and I thought there was no way in hell i would have passed but i did. GL
Old 04-10-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

to put it simply...:

Most rule state that (as Re and Pop stated)

No engien from Car to Truck and Truck to car..

Also that you can not put a older engine in your car. Car year or newer the engine has to be.

Most rule state that you must use all of the new engines smog equipement and all must function. So granted all of the sensors and inputs must be working.

Many states will exempt 25 or 30+ year old cars. California stoped that law and put into place 76 and newer much still pass a smog test. 75 and older is exempt.

Most will talk about headers and Cat.. bottom line is that the Cat must be at the correct distance from the engines exhaust port.. hence the shorty might be the only legal header that you can use if you have CAT (as in most Gen III and IV engines) located very close to the engine. Long Tube will require you to set the Cat back away more from the required distance and therefore make them illegal.

Also, remember that just cause you got lucky and passed the test for whatever reason.. doesn't make it legal for what mods you have done.. You are still can be held responsible and fined.

C.A.R.B if installed correctly for the required year / models are the only aftermarket equipement that you can really legally use.

Federal and State laws many be different, but bottom line is the Fed's will always win out.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the input fellas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question regarding swaps & NY state emissions inspections