Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Harness

Old 04-10-2009, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Harness

I got my new 6.0 harness from speartech today and I have a few questions. The key hot goes to where on my suburban? The constant goes straight to the battery? The solenoid pass through wire goes on the smaller stud on the solenoid? Do u leave the existing wires that were on the old starter on the new one and add the new wiring to that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Teching In

The key hot goes to a line that is only hot with the key on. You should have a terminal in your existing fuse box that you can use. The constant can go to a terminal in the fuse box that is always hot. The purple wire you don't need if you already have your key switch wired.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

ok thank you there is a terminal where 3 constant hots go together on the firewall, would that be an acceptable tie in point? One last thing, i need to find the brake switch that has zero volts when the brake pedal is pushed, it is for the torque converter, where would this be located? The fuel pump grey wire just eliminates the control the vehicle has and puts it over to the computer so i would just put the grey wire in place of the existing positive fuel pump wire, does this all seem correct? How would i make the ac work?
Old 04-11-2009, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

btt
Any help would be awesome
Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Ok i got the ignition hot, the constant hot and the fuel pump relay. The only one that i can't figure out is the normally closed brake switch. IT says that is will have power until the brakes are applied and then it goes to zero volts, this is for the torque converter. Where would i find this wire on my 88 suburban, the wiring diagram thats in the book doesn't help or show this wire.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the brake switch, you should have one associated with your brake pedal that activates your brake lights. It should have two switches built into it. One is O v until you press the brakes and 12 volts once you have pressed them. That side turns on your brake lights. The other side should be for your torque converter and do as you explained. I would think your Suburban would be new enough that it would have the two way switch. If not, go to pick and pull and look at the later model cars, that is what I ended up doing. I got 2 or 3 and picked the one that fit the best. It's very easy to test them with an ohm or multimeter.

Pat
Old 04-11-2009, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

ok, i found the one attached to the break pedal. One has 12v and one gets power once i push the brake pedal. The one that has constant power shoud turn off when i push the pedal right? Otherwise could i buy some sort of switch or solenoid to mount on the firewall to perform the same task. Anyways the one that has power without the brake pedal pushed doesn't turn off when i push it.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:03 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're looking for a 4 terminal brake switch. Two will be for the brake lights (that sounds like the 2 your are talking about above) and 2 will be for the torque converter.

Describe the wire colors going to the brake switch and we should be able to step you thru it pretty easily. On an 88 there should be a set of contacts with a pink wire and a purple wire going to them already.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

the two on the bottom prongs are orange and white. Orange is hot and white is hot when pedal is pressed. The two on top are both grey and have no power at any point and all the fuses are good so I am not sure. I ran a hot from the fuse box to the contacts and removed the grey wires. It will work that way because it has power until i push the brake pedal and then only one has power just like i need, I just don't know what i unhooked, i think it was the cruise sontrol that didn't work before which makes sense why they had no power. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Teching In

That should have been cruise control. That is the way you need it to work, power until the brake is pushed.

Search this Thread