Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F-Body oil pan being a pan in the ass!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New F-Body oil pan being a pan in the ***!

Something aint right here! I bought a new F-Body pan assembly from GMParts direct back first of the year.. This was to replace my C5 oil pan for a swap.. After I got the new F-Body pan installed and torqued, I noticed the little oil pressure sender bracket above the oil filter was never drilled, tapped or cross drilled?? Then I was having trouble getting the oil filter to start on, so I flipped the motor over on the stand and I noticed there was another hole that had been drilled but not tapped (left of the filter spigot).. I checked my C5 pan and it has what looks like a spring loaded pressure relief or something?? Is that no needed on the F-body pan, or was that machining detail missed too? Even if that's not needed and I can swap the pressure sensor and bracket from the C5 pan, I still have the issue of the filter not threading on.. I've tried three new filters & none fit.. All three fit the C5 pan.. Any suggestions??
Old 04-17-2009, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It probably has the new metric oil filter adapter thread on it like the new engines. Check a filter for a new Vette to see if it fits. GM took the anti-drain back valve out of the pan and put it into the filter I believe.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Did they do away with the oil pressure sensor in that location too? The bracket was on the pan, but it wasnt drilled & tapped??
Old 04-17-2009, 03:46 PM
9 Second Club

Do you mean the oil cooler fitting. It was not an option for fbods & therefore is not drilled & tapped.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:48 AM
Launching!

Not sure if it's a cooler fitting?? The one I'm refering too in my vette pan, I thought was a pipe plug, but after cleaning and poking around, it actually is spring loaded?? It's located right next to the filter nipple. I assumed it was some sort of pressure relief or something.. I will try and attach some pics..

First one is of the pressure sender adapter.. Drilled, but not cross drilled and not tapped (I robbed the one off the vette pan)

2-4 are pics of the drilled hole only, @ 6 o'clock under the filter nipple..

Old 04-18-2009, 06:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Racinjason424
Something aint right here! I bought a new F-Body pan assembly from GMParts direct back first of the year.. This was to replace my C5 oil pan for a swap.. After I got the new F-Body pan installed and torqued, I noticed the little oil pressure sender bracket above the oil filter was never drilled, tapped or cross drilled?? Then I was having trouble getting the oil filter to start on, so I flipped the motor over on the stand and I noticed there was another hole that had been drilled but not tapped (left of the filter spigot).. I checked my C5 pan and it has what looks like a spring loaded pressure relief or something?? Is that no needed on the F-body pan, or was that machining detail missed too? Even if that's not needed and I can swap the pressure sensor and bracket from the C5 pan, I still have the issue of the filter not threading on.. I've tried three new filters & none fit.. All three fit the C5 pan.. Any suggestions??

F Body Pan uses a different filter with internal bypass: PF-48. That should work for you.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rsz288
F Body Pan uses a different filter with internal bypass: PF-48. That should work for you.
Wow.. Thanks.. I was worried I was going to have to pull the pan and swap it out for another one.. Will the sender and adapter off the C5 pan work ok with the F-body pan, with the bypass filter??
Old 04-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Launching!

One last thing - does the PF46 & PF48 have different threads? I could not get the 46 to thread on for nothing - tried three different filters...
Old 04-18-2009, 06:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Racinjason424
One last thing - does the PF46 & PF48 have different threads? I could not get the 46 to thread on for nothing - tried three different filters...
Yes the PF48 has a different thread. The adaptor should work, but have not tried one. Most people drill and tap the blanked hole, so if you compare the FBody and the C5 item, if they are same/similar, should be ok.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Launching!

Yes the PF48 has a different thread. The adaptor should work, but have not tried one. Most people drill and tap the blanked hole, so if you compare the FBody and the C5 item, if they are same/similar, should be ok.
Excellent.. The adaptor looks identical.. I'm going to give it a whirl. Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:26 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

PF-48 has a larger thread. I've had to use those on C6's, Z06's and of course almost every replacement oil pan.

That plugged off area is for the oil filter bypass, basically if your oil filter gets plugged, that valve allows unfiltered oil through your engine, I've plugged them off before to disallow that. I'm guessing the PF-48 has an internal bypass, but have not looked into that assumption; it would be nice if it was no longer equipped with a bypass.

The little filter block is just different appearing, you can still drill and tap it if necessary, or you can swap to the older one.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Found the same thread deal on the truck pans..
My late,[07/5.3] pan uses a metric filter thread.. 22MM, AIRC. The 05 Hummer pan, in my 55, uses the 13/16" thread filter.
A nib, Hummer pan, bought from the dlr[08] has the metric threads.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Bingo.. Just got back from Autozone with a PF-48.. Threaded right on.. Boda-boom, Boda-bing.. Thanks guys..

FYI. I looked down in side the 46 & 48 and the 46 was basically flat and 48 definitely has more more 'stuff' inside on the bottom of the filter. Assuming that's probably the bypass mechansim..
Old 04-18-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

The NAPA filters I tried, had the thread size stamped on them..just inside the crimp area...
Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
The NAPA filters I tried, had the thread size stamped on them..just inside the crimp area...
Great idea.. Wish they all would do that!

Quick Reply: New F-Body oil pan being a pan in the ass!