Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering hose??

Old 04-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power steering hose??

Im running a 94 Grand am rack and pinion with my fbody PS pump. The fittings on each end of the hose I got from the grand am fit perfectly, but the hose is too short and bent oddly, so I cant make it work. I cut the fittings off, leaving about 4 inches of hard line and flared it. I ran high pressure fuel hose and hose clamps on each end. This is just temporary and Im scared its not gonna hold up. Does anyone make them on the forum? I cant find a shop in town that will make the hose. Any clue on what size these fittings are and who can make them?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Here are a few places in your area that do hydraulic hoses and ends. See what you can get from there. The EFI hose won't last if it even goes a turn on the steering wheel.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...e-results&cd=1
Old 04-20-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

That won't work for the pressure line, but it'd be ok for the return line. Power steering can be up to 1500psi on the pressure side.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Wow..Didnt think it got that high. It lasted just fine until I went lock to lock and heard the hose pop. I may go take a walk through the junk yard and look for some GM vehicles..maybe there is a PS line that will be bent pretty close to what I need.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any hydraulic shop can make it.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellis Juan
Im running a 94 Grand am rack and pinion with my fbody PS pump. The fittings on each end of the hose I got from the grand am fit perfectly, but the hose is too short and bent oddly, so I cant make it work. I cut the fittings off, leaving about 4 inches of hard line and flared it. I ran high pressure fuel hose and hose clamps on each end. This is just temporary and Im scared its not gonna hold up. Does anyone make them on the forum? I cant find a shop in town that will make the hose. Any clue on what size these fittings are and who can make them?
Cut your flares off and use a pair of compression unions with a piece of steel brake line (yes, it comes in sizes up to 3/8").

Russ
Old 04-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Launching!

I did the compression thing to start with and they seeped. Probably my fault for over tightening the compression fitting. I then went to the flares and hose clamps. If I cant find someone to make the ydraulic hose Ill go back to the compression fitting. Freekin braze them on if I have to. Im ready to get on the damn road.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:41 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you checked NAPA? they can usually make hydraulic lines, but I have heard that if you tell them its for steering they won`t touch it. I think it is kinda a don`t ask don`t tell thing.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Went to napa today. I ask them the last TWO times ive been in there, but the guy said they couldnt make the hose with what I had. This time however the owner was there and was like YEAH, come on back. They made me a hydraulic hose the length I needed with compression fittings on each end. Not the weak brass compression fittings either, these are steel. You can really get down on them and they will lock in. Thanks for the replies. Problem solved!
Old 04-24-2018, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Cut your flares off and use a pair of compression unions with a piece of steel brake line (yes, it comes in sizes up to 3/8").

Russ
will brass unions work or does it matter? Opps old thread again.....
Old 04-24-2018, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

Or just go to NAPA and have a custom hose made. Cost me $50.00 plus tax for a perfect length hose, no twists or kinks.

Rick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering hose??