Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3l LM7 Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3l LM7 Question

I have been reading several different threads regarding conversions, but I haven't seen one touch this subject, with the LM7 not having a throttle cable and actually having a DBW TB is there any way to actually change that. Keep in mind I will be using the stock 5.3l LM7 harnest.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Why not use the electronic thottle? A TAC module and a pedal assembly is all you'll need. Makes it very easy to wire a cruise control too.

If you use the LM7 harness for a cable throttle you will have to modify it to put discreet connectors for the TPS, IAT and IAC.

Someone else will have to tell you what can be done to edit the PCM to allow the use of discrete sensors and the cable throttle body (which I think is a little bit smaller for the cable throttle too)
Old 04-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Teching In

is the TAC module and pedal assembly expensive?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

I paid about $30 for the pedal assembly and the TAC at a local pick a part junkyard.

Get the harness too, or at least the connector and a pigtail
Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

I just ran into this on my mustang. I found out my harness and pcm are from a DBW. I had the harness modified and pinned for the IAC and TPS sensors. I also have to sell my computer, because the DBW has no way to control the IAC motor. So the harness can be altered, but you have to run a cable pcm from a Fbody, or older trucks
Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by nissan owner
I have been reading several different threads regarding conversions, but I haven't seen one touch this subject, with the LM7 not having a throttle cable and actually having a DBW TB is there any way to actually change that. Keep in mind I will be using the stock 5.3l LM7 harnest.
You seem to be slightly miss-informed. The 99-2002 LM7 had a cable actuated Throtle body. in 03 GM went to DBW. If you want to convert you can use an early 99-02 PCM and wiring harness along with a cable actuated throtle body. Its my understanding that the conectors for the PCM Also changed around 03 so I am not sure what it would take to modify a newer style harness. You would be best off contacing some one who does wiring harness modifications.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Teching In

What year LM7 do you have? If you look at the street and performance catalog, the have a listing of the different TAC modules for the different years. My 01 LM7 is DBW, and it works fine.

You will need to get a TAC module that matches your PCM, and depending on the vehicle you are putting it in, I would get an LS1 Vette DBW pedal. The truck pedals are really big for a car, and stick out past the break pedal. You can then either cut a notch in your connector that connect to the pedal and swap 2 pins around, or someone like Speartech can make you a custom cable. If you go with a custom cable, you can have it made whatever length you want so you can mount the TAC module wherever you want. John at Speartech hooked me up with a longer custom cable with the correct ends on it for about $50.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
You seem to be slightly miss-informed. The 99-2002 LM7 had a cable actuated Throtle body. in 03 GM went to DBW. If you want to convert you can use an early 99-02 PCM and wiring harness along with a cable actuated throtle body. Its my understanding that the conectors for the PCM Also changed around 03 so I am not sure what it would take to modify a newer style harness. You would be best off contacing some one who does wiring harness modifications.
2001, 2002 i beleive it was an option for DBW in the LM7's.

I just wired the electronic throttle with my LM7 i ran last year, loved it!

Bought my pedal/tac off ebay for $9!
Old 04-29-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can repin the harness to run the IAC and TPS. Then you can write the entire file from say an 01 truck and it'll work. You don't need a different pcm.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DarthMonte
What year LM7 do you have? If you look at the street and performance catalog, the have a listing of the different TAC modules for the different years. My 01 LM7 is DBW, and it works fine.

You will need to get a TAC module that matches your PCM, and depending on the vehicle you are putting it in, I would get an LS1 Vette DBW pedal. The truck pedals are really big for a car, and stick out past the break pedal. You can then either cut a notch in your connector that connect to the pedal and swap 2 pins around, or someone like Speartech can make you a custom cable. If you go with a custom cable, you can have it made whatever length you want so you can mount the TAC module wherever you want. John at Speartech hooked me up with a longer custom cable with the correct ends on it for about $50.
So if I'm reading this correctly, I can get a LS1 corvette DBW pedal, switch a few wires around and modify the connector and will work with my 2004 5.3 PCM and harness??

Quick Reply: 5.3l LM7 Question