Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring harness conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring harness conversion

I have been reading and searching a lot on here about building and/ or buying a custom wiring harness for my 99 LS1 swap in to my 72 nova....My question is do you actually have to eliminate wires that won't be used? my thought is that as long as all the sensors and such are connected and the needed powers and grounds are hooked up right there should be a problem right? I understand that with the unneeded wires out of the way it would make for a neater install but just want to motor to fire and then go back and straighten up the install.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

You dont have to remove them to fire it
Old 04-25-2009, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

No, you do not need to eliminate wires, however, two schools of thought here:

If you do not eliminate the + potential on the circuit you could short out your computer and be screwed. Secondly, the harness will be much more compact and clean looking with those extra wires removed.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryanvv355

If you do not eliminate the + potential on the circuit you could short out your computer and be screwed.
I don't know if I understand what you mean here, please expand!!
Old 04-25-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 72_nova
I don't know if I understand what you mean here, please expand!!
I think what he's trying to say here is : Get rid of the extra wires and terminate/insulate the wires correctly that carry any positive voltage....or else you might end up with a positive wire eventually "grounding out", and wasting the ecu...and maybe worse.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:50 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You don`t actually have to remove them, you can just cut off the connectors and tape the end of the wire back into the harness or leave the connector on and tape it out of the way like I did.............but really just take the extra couple hours and remove the wire fully. I didn`t because I figured it was a daily driver and I didn`t care about the extra wires in there........4 years later I kick myself almost everytime I open the hood and look at it. I pulled the extra wires on my brothers swap and my friends swap......much cleaner looking. In fact if I ever get time I`m going to go back and pull the extras out of mine.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did this too with a lot of help from this guy's diagrams^^^. Thanks btw! lol. Anyways I was intimidated at first, but there's more than enough info on here to do it easily. Good luck!

Quick Reply: wiring harness conversion