Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ricks hot rod tank dissappointment

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ricks hot rod tank dissappointment

Well I'm a little disappointed in my $1200 tank from Ricks! I ordered it a little over a year ago. When I received it something was rattling inside, so I pulled the pump only to find that the sock and another plastic piece were just lying in the bottom of the tank....no problem I thought I'll re-attach and all will be well. Next I checked the sender ohms....nothing! I pulled the sender only to find that the in-tank portion was loose...no problem, I tightened and everythings ok.
Now one year later I was ready to start the car for the first time....but again I've been "Rick" struck. The "NEW" pump is seized. I kept blowing the fuel pump fuse. I double checked all of my work, but couldn't find anything wrong. Voltage at the pump was 12.5v.
I pulled the pump and temporarily installed one from a Taurus that I had lying around, which had enough pressure to get me started for the first time!

I'm going to call Ricks on Monday...we'll see what he has to say! Am I alone here, or have other folks had similar problems?
Old 04-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Default Ricks

...I have 66 nova tank with no issue YET ? hope i dont have you're problems

Germany...possible due to shippment i would think driving around is rougher then shipping?

Steve
Old 04-26-2009, 05:45 AM
Launching!

If shipping caused those problems, then I don't even want to think what'll happen once I drive down an uneven road!
Old 04-26-2009, 06:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

i thought i recently saw an add for a tank w/in tank pump for about 1/2 the price-might have been a stamped tank, wish i would have kept the add
be interesting to see how they handle the deal, anything thru the mail can take a beating-i worked for UPS part time once, used to blast people for the way they handled some stuff
good luck
Old 04-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

You aren't alone. I ordered their LS swap tank for my 71 chevelle. I was happy with the craftmanship. A few months later, it was finally time to start up the chevelle. It had to be running in a few weeks for my wedding. It fired off fine, then we smelled the gas. I've put together many fuel systems, but it was leaking back at their lines. At first, I thought it was my fittings, so I over-nighted new ones. Still leaked. Went to the local speed shop and got another set, still leaked. So I called Rick's and told them I wanted an entire new fuel pump setup. A few days later, the lines shows up with no pump attached....I tried swapping the pump over, but that requires some tiny plastic insert, so no go. It was the night before I needed to load the car on the trailer. I ended up staying up all night rigging it from stuff I picked up at Walmart. Got it all swapped over, installed the tank again......leaking. It did make the trip around the church though.

I said the hell with them and took the original piece to a friend that builds bone replacements for hospitals. He cut a new one, now no more leaks.

The good side? I can drop that tank damn fast now. But I should have just cleaned up the stock tank and welded in a new setup.

Quick Reply: Ricks hot rod tank dissappointment