Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo my old daily driver/ shop truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Turbo my old daily driver/ shop truck?

Just got my new toy today, 59 GMC truck. Pretty solid overall. Plan is to get it going soon as a driver and worry about the appearance and stance and everything later. I threw the mockup 5.3 in it and was playing with the manifolds and they fit facing forward real easy and I'm contemplating a low boost (5-7 psi) non intercooled daily driver turbo setup. I think it would be a cool daily driver that showcases some of the stuff I do....thoughts??

Old 05-07-2009, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it, you could always rat rod it for a while, go budget or not at all on appearance stuff and focus mostly on power. Those pictures don't make the stance look too bad. You could also get some black primer and go that route. I think a 5.3L turbo would be fun, what trans?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the trans is a TH400 and the color will be some sort of Hot Rod Flatz metallic eventually. It will be sitting lowww though. Not interested in max power as it will be my true daily driver and I have other turbo LS1 cars for fun times
Old 05-07-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your gonna showcase what you can do then dont just flip the manifolds. I know you can build some sick *** turbo headers for that thing. I still kinda regret selling the setup I built. Not cuz my car isnt gonna be fast but because I was so proud of it. Oh well at least it will be off jackstands soon. New combo is in my sig in case your interested. BTW I liked your swap budget thread. It should cut down on some of the constantly repeated threads/questions in this forum...Oh yea. I still think you should have kept the orange truck!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the truck i agree if you are going to show off the work you can do then do it to the very best of your ability. now if you just gonna drive it i would use the manifolds. this is my 59 chevy gonna get a ls motor some time this year

justin

Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

do it
Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eviltwin_1987
do it
oh what would you know about cool old trucks??
Old 05-08-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by topher455
If your gonna showcase what you can do then dont just flip the manifolds. I know you can build some sick *** turbo headers for that thing. I still kinda regret selling the setup I built. Not cuz my car isnt gonna be fast but because I was so proud of it. Oh well at least it will be off jackstands soon. New combo is in my sig in case your interested. BTW I liked your swap budget thread. It should cut down on some of the constantly repeated threads/questions in this forum...Oh yea. I still think you should have kept the orange truck!
man I gotta tell you I saw your old setup back up for sale on ttf and I was sad....I hate seeing people change direction when they are that close. I understand some situations it just works out better and it sounds like you have a good setup going now...

as for this truck, or any daily driver I am not into headers at all, love the manifolds for reliability. You know I sold the headers I made for that silver vette?? yup....gone...replaced by something more sturdy....reliable...that thing should finally make it to dyno very soon
Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes for a dialy the mani's are hard to beat. How bout a log setup that would be cool AND sturdy. I think the log they used on the fairmont is still holding up well after tons of abuse.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just noticed the nova still has an open rear???
Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by topher455
I just noticed the nova still has an open rear???
it did.....was always on the original stock rearend.....

the Nova is dead now by the way...Ill post a pic later, its been retired
Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I knew it was alway a peg leg but I thought you were gonna bcak half it after winter was over. Retired?... That makes me sad.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Do it! Heck you have enough room in there to do whatever you want!

We have a "perfect" 67 at the shop. It's just got a very complete old redneck truck look to it, and it just screams sleeper at me every time I see it! I wanna do the engine, interior, and transmission and not touch a single thing on the outside. Keep it quiet and with a mild cam and eat people up on the streets.

Eh it's not going anywhere any time soon...

if I just had the time/cash! <-- isnt that always the story?

Quick Reply: Turbo my old daily driver/ shop truck?