Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L76 conversion question

Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L76 conversion question

Hi everyone - I have searched for hours, but can't seem to find the answers to my questions on a potential engine swap. I have a 79 Toyota Landcruiser that I would like to do a V8 swap into. Looking for approx 350 hp and an automatic that can be adapted to the factory Toyota Transfer case. Want newer, low miles engine/trans setup to have reliability for a long time before I have to do any major repairs/overhaul. Here are my questions:

1) It would appear that the L76 6.0L from a 2007-2009 Silverado / avalanche / Suburban would fit the bill in the horspower department. From what I can tell, the 4 speed trans for these trucks is a 4l70e. Is this correct for the Trans? Is it essentially an upgraded 4l60e?

2)If that is not correct dimesionally, what 2006+ chevys come with the 4l60e?

3) Advance Adapters makes a conversion kit to adapt the 4l60e trans to the toyota transfer case. the kit replaces the tail housing and output shaft on the 4l60e. Would this kit work on the 4l70e? (advance doesn't seem to know) The 4l80e is not an option because the adapter pushes the tcase back too far

4) Can the L76 be converted back to drive by cable? Really don't want to fab the throttle bracket to get placement correct if I don't have too.

5) Can L76 AC compressor be used to power vintage air AC system (I saw that some of the newer GM AC compressors work differently than the traditional AC compressor)?

6)Can the PS pump be used to run a normal 70's GM saginaw power steering gear?

7)Does the stock water pump flow and work correctly? Does that engine come with a clutch driven cooling fan or do I need to go to an electric fan? I have already ordered a new V-8 spec Ron Davis Aluminum Radiator for my truck.

7)Beyond the wiring harness and ECM, what other little things will I need to deal with? Speedo? Tach?

8) Any gotchas I haven't thought of?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gpetry
1) It would appear that the L76 6.0L from a 2007-2009 Silverado / avalanche / Suburban would fit the bill in the horspower department. From what I can tell, the 4 speed trans for these trucks is a 4l70e. Is this correct for the Trans? Is it essentially an upgraded 4l60e?
Same as a 4l60 externally is alittle stronger internally.

3) Advance Adapters makes a conversion kit to adapt the 4l60e trans to the toyota transfer case. the kit replaces the tail housing and output shaft on the 4l60e. Would this kit work on the 4l70e? (advance doesn't seem to know) The 4l80e is not an option because the adapter pushes the tcase back too far
It should work. But Why not run a GM transfercase like the NP241 and run a slip yoke eliminator kit to help with the short wheel base. The Advance adapter will most likely be retarded expensive! And you'll need a VSS anyway.

Is if a pass. or driver side front axle?

4) Can the L76 be converted back to drive by cable? Really don't want to fab the throttle bracket to get placement correct if I don't have too.
Yes but Keep the DBW, it'll be cheaper and easier as you can keep the VVT. All you need it to mount a thottle pedal.

5) Can L76 AC compressor be used to power vintage air AC system (I saw that some of the newer GM AC compressors work differently than the traditional AC compressor)?
It should, some have run them with no problems.

6)Can the PS pump be used to run a normal 70's GM saginaw power steering gear?
Yes with the right fittings. I would even think about running Hrdroboost as well!

7)Does the stock water pump flow and work correctly? Does that engine come with a clutch driven cooling fan or do I need to go to an electric fan? I have already ordered a new V-8 spec Ron Davis Aluminum Radiator for my truck.
They have E-fans stock so you'll need E-fans. But a mechanical fan will fit on it. Just run the e-fans. If the rad. is big enough you'll be fine.

7)Beyond the wiring harness and ECM, what other little things will I need to deal with? Speedo? Tach?
If you run the stock yota transfer case you will need a VSS. The trans will not shift with out one. The NP241 will have a VSS in it already and it installed were it should be the transfercase as the stock GM ones are!

8) Any gotchas I haven't thought of?
You my have to tune out the L76's AFM. If so you my want to remove the heads and pull all the AFM lifters and the AFM oil manifold.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great info!! As a followup:
What is required to adapt the 2wd 4l70e to the NP241?

Will that move the tcase shifter to where I have to cut another floor hole and patch the existing?

Is it a problem leaving the AFM (I'm assuming you mean Advanced Fuel Management)? or do the benefits of removing it far outweigh the little bit of hassle to pull the heads?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the great info!! As a followup:
What is required to adapt the 2wd 4l70e to the NP241?
Find a 4x4 one cause you have to take the transmission apart toremove the output shaft and install the shorter 4x4 one.
Advance sells a 2x4 adapter but that will add almost 4'' in length, something you don't need!

A 4x4 4l60/65/70 and the stock GM round transfer case adapter is what you want.

Will that move the tcase shifter to where I have to cut another floor hole and patch the existing?
I don't think so, but not knowing the yotas setup, the NP241 is a lever shift and you can length it or make a cable shifter for it.

Is it a problem leaving the AFM (I'm assuming you mean Advanced Fuel Management)? or do the benefits of removing it far outweigh the little bit of hassle to pull the heads?
AFM is (Active Fuel Management) it deactivates 4 cyls on the highway under certain conditions. This is used to increase the MPG a mere 2-5%. I wouldn't worry about it you could even actiave it and have LED on the dash to come on when its active.

I think some people trying to use it have had problems getting it work right. And when it goes in 4cyl it might drone through the exhaust as well. But you should be OK just to leave it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L76 conversion question