Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure sensor /temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pressure sensor /temp sensor

I'm using 04 gto ls1 for a swap. what are my location options for the oil pressure sensor? for coolant temp sensor in the rear of the rt. head, is it simply removing the plug and installing the sensor or is there more involved? thanks for your help
Old 05-30-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes. for a second or aftermarket Coolant temp sensor, remove the plug on the passenger side rear, but the plug will be metric, many of the manufactors are not making sensor or adapters.. if not, you can drill and tap it to 1/4" NPT for a more standdumdumdum size sensor.

For the oil, there has been a few places. If your not using the donor Dash and BCM, you don't need the factory input into the PCM. you can use that location (top rear of the block behind the intake). Or you can use the bypass/oil cooler plate above the oil filter. If you don't have a oil cooler fittings, you can drill and tap the plate, a F-Body one has a casting that just needs to be drilled and tapped.

Try a search for aftermarket temp/pressure sensors, as it is a subject that has been posted many times.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:50 AM
RYU
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bczee
Yes. for a second or aftermarket Coolant temp sensor, remove the plug on the passenger side rear, but the plug will be metric, many of the manufactors are not making sensor or adapters.. if not, you can drill and tap it to 1/4" NPT for a more standdumdumdum size sensor.

For the oil, there has been a few places. If your not using the donor Dash and BCM, you don't need the factory input into the PCM. you can use that location (top rear of the block behind the intake). Or you can use the bypass/oil cooler plate above the oil filter. If you don't have a oil cooler fittings, you can drill and tap the plate, a F-Body one has a casting that just needs to be drilled and tapped.

Try a search for aftermarket temp/pressure sensors, as it is a subject that has been posted many times.
Something I haven't been able to find out yet is if the PCM needs to be programmed to ignore the Oil Pressure Sensor? Do you know if that is the case or does the PCM simply "passthru" the sensor readings to the Dash?

I'm a bit worried because I just got my PCM back from reprogramming (remove VATS, EGR, EVAP, etc...). Hopefully, I won't need to send it back since I will probably be tapping my own Oil Pressure Sensor.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:44 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

thanks this search has a lot of info [aftermarket temp/pressure sensors]
Old 05-31-2009, 10:19 AM
13 Second Truck Club

for the coolant sensor i removed the plug on the pass. side head then ran a 1/4" tap through it no need to drill for the oil pressure i drilled and tapped the blockoff plate to the oil cooler

Quick Reply: oil pressure sensor /temp sensor