Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-Body people with LT`s inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:15 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default G-Body people with LT`s inside

Of the people running headers on a G-Body, was anyone able to retain the column shift linkage? Or were you able to fabricate some other type of linkage to connect to the column?

I have 2001 f-body manifolds and cats on my car now and I had to bend the Z bar a bit, and put a heim joint on the bottom of the vertical rod to get it to fit with the manifolds. I would like to get headers now but I can`t figure out how the shift linkage would possibly fit, as it is now there is only about 1/4" clearance between the vertical linkage and the exhaust manifold as it exits cyl #7.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dan , I have long tubes on my elcamino 1986 and a column shift. Long tubes were from 2000 camaro hooker brand. The drivers side hit the collecter only as it runs to the trans. I had to modify the bracket that bolts to the frame and raise that up about 1/2 inch. That side bolted right in now the pass side hit the frame. The car is at the muffler shop as of last week getting the exhaust installed they said they had to move 1 tube to get it in. When i get it back i can take pics for you, Dan
Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I put the long tubes from BRP on my car, but I don't remember if they would have been in the way of connecting a column shift rod or not. I'll look later this week if I get time.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

Forgot to mention on my elcamino i have John B mounts which maybe keeps the headers away from the linkage. Getting the car back on wed. so i can post some pictures
Old 06-02-2009, 11:45 PM

Heres what my linkage looks like with the manifolds.

This is where I`m really worried about the interference. At the bottom I feel that no matter what I can come up with a solution, but at the top I`m not so sure because with my mounts the motor sits so close to the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails G-Body people with LT`s inside-shifter-park.jpg   G-Body people with LT`s inside-shifter-drive.jpg  
Old 06-03-2009, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

Here are the pictures of the linkage. Also the headers might not be as bulky as the stock manifolds. It does not matter in drive or park I have at least 1 inch of clearance. Hope this helps, Dan
Attached Thumbnails G-Body people with LT`s inside-parts-pic-1-1681.jpg   G-Body people with LT`s inside-parts-pic-1-1683.jpg   G-Body people with LT`s inside-parts-pic-1-1685.jpg  
Old 06-04-2009, 12:18 AM

Thank you for the pics. that makes it look like this might work out ok, I was thinking it was going to be a huge pain to do. Guess I will have to give it a try then.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

You always cut the rod and weld in a section in a backwards "C" shape to clear the manifold!

Quick Reply: G-Body people with LT`s inside