Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow LQ9 possibly?

First off wasn't quite sure if this would be the right section, if not mods please move.

Ok, so i've pretty much finished off the bolt-ons, need to pick up a pulley when i can. But now i've gotten to the point where i need to make a decision which direction i want to go in my quest for more power. First off my car is my only and daily driver. So its just a street/strip car, more so street, as i only go to the track a few times a year. I know i want nitrous because i love the idea of only using the power when i need it. But my engine is getting rather old, nearing that 100k mark. So i had thought about rebuilding, but an engine swap is starting to look more appealing. Also this just a minor build i'm not looking for anything fancy or expensive, i'm on a very limited budget. So let me just post up what i'm considering and you guys let me know if thats good.

low(ish) mile LQ9
arp rod bolts
stock 243 heads
comp 918 springs
tsp 228r cam
tsp pushrods
professional products typhoon intake
professional products 85mm tb
3-3200k stall
4l80e
200 wet plate kit

What i want is good streetability, i have reputable tuner near me to take care of the tune. i have a few specific NA hp goals, i want over 300rwhp at 4k, and would like peak power ~6k and shift around ~6300. I feel the 228r is a good off the shelf cam for that, however i would love to get a custom spec'd one for my needs. (perhaps Pred-Z can read this and give me a quick spec??) I feel the intake is a good choice, having more plenum volume for the extra cubes, more power than the ls6 after 5k, and easily accepting a 85mm tb. and it comes with fuel rails to add flow to my wet kit. i realize 317 and 243 heads flow about the same, but the bump in SCR is nice and from what i understand will push it up to 11.1:1 Also with a smaller cam DCR should be quite nice as well. 93 octane is readily available here, so i'm not worried about it NA. A tune and all the safety features should be good for N2O.

As far as the rest of the drivetrain, i don't want a huge stall, i want something small and tight. And i figured a 4l80e can handle the power.

now for a few concerns:

can i just use the lq9 rockers on the 243 heads? ii didn't know if there compatible or a different ratio?

the cam, a 228r or similarly specd cam should be good for my goals right?

What head gasket thickness should i use?

with a 11.1:1 scr on 93 octane should i be good with 200 shot? or should mix 100 octane to be safe?

i currently have 1 3/4" longtubes, should i go 1 7/8" or stepped?

After its all said and done, will the extra power outperform the added weight difference?

Thanks for reading all that, and keep in mind, this is just a budget build, i'm NOT expecting any miracles or huge numbers. I appreciate any and all feedback/experience!

Last edited by twpetry; 06-06-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a good plan to me. The only thing I'd do is go for the MS3 cam. I've used it on several customer builds and works rather nice.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

well thank you for your input, but i think an MS3 is ALOT more cam then i need or want.

Any other thoughts or suggestions anyone??
Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

any body have any advice? i mean i know its not the most exciting build ever, but i would still appreciate some advice.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

the more i look into it the more i'm starting to think some l92 heads would probably be a better choice. that would keep the stock compression but greatly increase flow. of course i would then have to get a l76 or ls3 intake.

L92 heads > 243s

are there any aftermarket intakes worth it? or should i just stick with an l76 or ls3 intake?

Quick Reply: LQ9 possibly?