Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump heating up??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump heating up??

Well after buying my Aeromotive 11106 pump, Aeromotive recomended a Fuel pump speed controller to reduce the motor's speed while cruising, this will supposedly help in reducing vapor lock.

How ever with my lines run all the way up front of the car then my return back it would reduce any amount of heat in the lines, in conjunction with our presure being at around 60psi I wouldnt think this would be a problem..

So do anyone in southern states have an issue with vapor locking or issues with these external pumps when the temps get around 100 degrees outside??

I dont plan on driving my car a ton in that temp but when I make a trip across the desert to L.A. I want to know that I did my best on keeping the fuel cool..

thanks a bunch guys
Old 06-10-2009, 06:12 AM
On The Tree

Default same pump

I had the same pump on my 6 Ls1 nova twin turbo swap and the PIECE of SH?T would lock up in 90-100 degree weather with less then a 1/2 tank. Switched to a magna flow and be good so far. I do have a friend with the aeromotive controller with the same pump I used to have and he has had no problems.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:31 AM
Banned

11106 - Aeromotive 700 HP Fuel Pumps

Specifications-8AN inlet port
-6AN outlet port
Flow exceeds 450 lbs/hour @ 12 volts/45 psi
Fully-submersible for custom in-tank placement (wonder if this would have anything to do with your heating problems)
Fuel injected engines:Up to 700 HP for naturally aspiratedUp to 500 HP for forced air inductionUse regulator #027-13101 or #027-13109
Carbureted engines:Up to 900 HP for naturally aspiratedUp to 700 HP for forced air inductionUse regulator #027-13204 or #027-13301
just a thought, if this is in their specifications,to me it would make me think that submerging the pump would be needed. just my .02
something else i thought of, your feed and return lines may not be sufficient ,you may need a bigger feed and return.
lets say like a,-6 return and a -8 feed or -8 both lines. i cant say because i dont know what lines you are running.

Last edited by mred; 06-10-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

The variable controler will fix the problem. THe vapor lock doesn't take place in the lines it's the pump itself. We just installed one on a car up here that would sut down after 10-15 minutes of driving. Now it doesn't act up. The pumps used to be for either external or internal but now they are trying to push for internal mounting due to this problem. I am doing another build and this time it will be In-tank so I won't have to worry about this issue.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I dont have an issue yet, Im just planning ahead. It seams alot of people run a Walbro externally or custom in tank system, However I wanted input from people that have used them on the street in heat.

I had a gut feeling I would hear this, I guess either a controller or get rid of it, or buy another tank..crap

Quick Reply: Fuel pump heating up??