Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fbody + diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fbody + diesel?

could a 6.6 duramax physically fit into an fbody? would a built out the *** t56 hold 800 hp and 1700+ torque? or would i have to swap in a built Allison? i know this is going to be a massive undertaking, and cost lots of money and take lots of time. however, i will need something to do on weekend while i'm in the army. so i'll have the shop, the tools, the time, and the money. i know what it'll take from the diesel and tranny, but what modifications will the car need? is it possible, and what would it take?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, well first i would find out if the substructure of an f body can handle the weight of the engine and transmission. IE the cradle. I dont think the transmission mount would be a problem but it would be worth looking into. Also, if you end up using an allison will the transmission tunnel have enough room for it to fit? As far as the engine bay goes im not sure how big those engines are. So you will have alot of homework to do. But good luck to you
Old 06-10-2009, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

thanks man.

that is the kind of information i'm here to find out. any further information would be greatly appreciated.

as far as the engine mods are concerned, if any one wants to know, i'm just going to keep adding power until i can't feasibly drive it on the street. then i'll detune it some.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Launching!

This question has been asked before... You might try the search button. If I remmber correctly there was someone who really wanted to do it a a whole lot of naysayers. You would have to build the allison way up for that much torque I dare say the T56 would not last with 1700 torque but who knows, perhaps someone could find a way. size is the biggest issue, nbot only width but tall. the dMax is really tall and finding a way to wedge all the piping in for the turbo and so forth my cause you to have a really budging hood or no hood at all.

Wish I could remember the thread. It would be cool, very challanging ancd expensive but very cool.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

i searched, i couldn't find anything.

i can get allison trannys that will take the abuse no problem. i can also run a remote mount turbo system, that will help somewhat with the engine bay clearance issues. i'm thinking i'm going to have to get a pretty big cowl hood and possibly even make a body lift and throw in a suspension drop to match.

has anyone ever made their own tube chassis? that would take care of most of the clearance issues, but it would take a fair bit longer.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Teching In

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...max/index.html

well, its not a f body. i think he used a motor plate. are u looking for a dd or a race car or race car hauler lol. there was a guy who put a 6.5 turbo diesel in a 93-97 camaro. i saw it on here in the bbc and sbc link. hope this helps with your questions.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

ya, something like that. i'm going to build a car kind of like him. a fast drag car, that i can still drive around and take road trips in. excepting i'll probably go with an allison tranny and an fbody. that, and it'll probably be the first 7.1L duramax fbody out there.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Isnt a duramax with its tranny like 2k pounds? Thats like shoving another f-body in your engine compartement.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a 6.5L Diesel in a 1994 Camaro it fits. The D-max isn't that much bigger. http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=436248

Vid
http://s648.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV01216.flv
http://s648.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV01332.flv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvQbbUC1mf4

Remote mount the turbo and run a built 4l80! And it should fit.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

i don't think they weigh a full 2000 pounds, plus you have to take from that the weight of the stock tranny and engine if you're talking weight added.

that's good news. thanks for the link man. watch for my build thread. i'm going to start this next spring when i get out of AIT.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

i was lookin to put a duramax + allison in my el camino... found that the engine was about 1100 lbs. My iron headed small block + th 350 together aint that heavy. Trans is about another 700.

Correct me if i'm wrong, i thought the small block / th 350 combo was in the 750 lb department.

I did find tho that the V-10 turbo diesel from the Audi LeManns car which is the same aluminum block and archetecture as the V-10 turbo diesel available in the top of the line Toureg (i was hopin to find a wrecked one) weighs about the same as an iron headed small block. Trans aint too heavy either...

Put that in ur pipe n smoke it.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

****, sounds like you have a hell of a project in your future too. you have fun with your 4.9L v10, i'm going to keep my 7.1L stroker v8. there is no replacement for displacement. so what if i add 1300 pounds to the car. if a 7200 pound crew cab daily driven truck can turn out low 10's with stock displacement, then a 7.1L stroker with better heads and an bigger cam in a car should scream. and with lots of detuning, it should still be drivable on the streets.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:59 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...max/index.html

I have an issue of dieselpower when they did a feature on that car. He didnt do much work to the engine itself i think just a turbo upgrade engine plate. And runs very low numbers while getting very good fuel mileage.

Like you stated these engines are made to move 7300 lb trucks towing 15000 lbs put it in an fboy weighing 3000~ and it will move out.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

There is a member on turdgen dot org that has a diesel engine in their camaro. not sure the size.

I've seen a dmax in a GN so i think it's possible! Just not...well...right!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I'd be cool

http://buildthreads.wordpress.com/20...esel-chevelle/

Here is another cool diesel powered car, a bit wild with the intake setup.
Anyway, I think it could be done, supposedly the Duramax weighs about what a iron big block with iron heads weighs, I know there are people out there running drag race f-bodies with that kindof setup.
I do think physically there would be some space issues in the engine bay, probably nothing a huge cowl hood and some creative sheetmetal work couldn't fix.
I think you'd have to go Allison, the torque from a built Duramax would kill a T56, maybe there are other options, Powerglide? don't know if people put that much torque to them or if you'd be happy with a 2 speed or if they make an adapter plate, but there's always options.
If you have the time, space, money, etc. to do it, i say try, i'd be a hell of a project.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

A 4l80E will hold a duramax, as well as an Allison. If you want a manual you'll have to get a ZF6 out of a duramax truck, like mine My transmission is stock and its holding just fine at my power level.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not an F-body and most of you have probably seen it but here's the Duramax powered Grand National...

http://www.18to1.com/

I remember his thread on TurboBuick.com where he was looking for a factory diesel powered Cutlass to "convert" to a GN. People gave him hell but he kept saying to wait and we'd all see why he was doing it. Turns out, as long as it was diesel from the factory, it was smog-exempt and he could modify the hell out of it w/o problems from the "gubment".
Old 06-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 68Hybrid
i was lookin to put a duramax + allison in my el camino... found that the engine was about 1100 lbs. My iron headed small block + th 350 together aint that heavy. Trans is about another 700.

Correct me if i'm wrong, i thought the small block / th 350 combo was in the 750 lb department.

I did find tho that the V-10 turbo diesel from the Audi LeManns car which is the same aluminum block and archetecture as the V-10 turbo diesel available in the top of the line Toureg (i was hopin to find a wrecked one) weighs about the same as an iron headed small block. Trans aint too heavy either...

Put that in ur pipe n smoke it.
um sorry...you are way off...

dmax alone is 837lbs
allison alone is ~400lbs with 5 gallones of fluid (yes, it takes almost all of 5 gallons) and converter

ben
Old 06-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Teching In

as for fitment issues, the duramax will fit anywhere that a big block will fit. Its not as physically "big" an engine as everyone assumes it is. The trans bolt pattern is standard chevy, so a TH400 or 4L80 (or allison) can be bolted up to it. TH400 would be worthless behind it because of no OD and no lockup. 4L80 would have to be massively built to withstand even a MILDLY tuned duramax, and even then the overdrive in it is still weak.

ben
Old 06-11-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what is the purpose of the build? seems like just for the WOW factor
and nothing else. it would take lot more than just dropping in a dmax,
alot of susp. upgrades, chassis reinforcing, etc.
dont make sense to me,
a correctly built turbo gasoline engine has the capacity to make all the hp and tq the fbody will ever be able to handle.
unless the goal is to pull boats or trailers with a camaro, then i guess it makes sense

Quick Reply: fbody + diesel?