Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pcv system or not

Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question pcv system or not

did a swap on my g-body fired it up and it suck hard at the oil filler and some smoke out the pipe on the driver side no pcv on the driver side pluged but it is hook up on the passenger side to the tb some oil in the intake did compression test just to be sure it was not the rings it good on that plugs look good no oil on them need input on the pcv system will this give me that light gray smoke.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Unhappy

Do any one have the routing for pcv system cant find it here some help please thanx.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

What year is the engine?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a very generic routing diagram for 99 and up ls1's. The hoses run from the driver side valve cover around the back of the manifold where it tee's off from the passenger side valve cover and then runs up along side the manifold into the throttle body. Follow #7 into #10 and up to the TB.

I highly suggest running a pcv catch can just to help catch any oil that may get by the pcv valve.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/New%20LS%20...%20ROUTING.htm
Old 06-16-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The PCV system if it is working correctly and is configured with a good PCV valve and a Catch Can will add some benefit and is really needed.. (yeah, I am going to get flamed for saying that to all of the hard core, get the most HP out of it guys). But having the correct amount of negative pressure in the crank case is a must.

The 99 system has a fresh air tube from the front of the passenger side to the TB (front of it) and then there is a PCV port more rearward on the TB that connects to the PCV Valve. It then has a tube routing going to the valve covers.. there is a Y connector behind the intake that will join the two valve cover port/tubes.

If your using the PCV system, get a new style PCV valve (small hole vs check ball). Add a Small Catch can and you should be good from most applications.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a cleaner, less complicated PCV layout that is less prone to oil usage, convert to the later LS6 layout. I did that with mine and it has been trouble free.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

Pat
Old 06-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Ditto on what Stu said. Convert it to the LS6 layout if you can...

Tails
Old 06-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Thanx got it
Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good points.

I don't think GM recommends using the "small hole", redesigned, fixed orfice PCV valve on the LS1 cars - only trucks with oil consumption problems. There is a good PDF tech article floating around here somewhere that explains why. I would replace it with the PCV valve intended for your car.

Also to note, when I went to the GM parts counter, the guy tried to sell me the revised fixed orfice design. I think he assumed that my PCV had failed or that my current PCV system was letting my car was consuming oil. That wasn't the case - I just did not have a PCV valve.

Originally Posted by bczee
The PCV system if it is working correctly and is configured with a good PCV valve and a Catch Can will add some benefit and is really needed.. (yeah, I am going to get flamed for saying that to all of the hard core, get the most HP out of it guys). But having the correct amount of negative pressure in the crank case is a must.

The 99 system has a fresh air tube from the front of the passenger side to the TB (front of it) and then there is a PCV port more rearward on the TB that connects to the PCV Valve. It then has a tube routing going to the valve covers.. there is a Y connector behind the intake that will join the two valve cover port/tubes.

If your using the PCV system, get a new style PCV valve (small hole vs check ball). Add a Small Catch can and you should be good from most applications.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pcv system or not