Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCM use with E38 PCM

Old 06-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BCM use with E38 PCM

I know there are a few threads on his topic, but wondering if anyone had actually done it..
I know is not necessary to run engine, but it would be cool to have cruise control, retained power, AC (with ac module), etc
thanks
Old 06-21-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Interested in this as well...
Old 06-21-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David,

I am going to do this as well on my latest project. I really want to have cruise control, as well as the driver information center. I am using the 6 speed auto, and it would be nice to have a gear indication. I used the Dakota digital display on my 65 Corvette, but the 6L80E is strictly a computer shifted trans, and the position of the arm does not indicate what gear it is in. The use of a BCM looks pretty straight forward, and I am just going to get the DIC and the BCM from the same G8 that I got the rest of the drivetrain out of.
I was looking at the sequence of operation and the pin-outs on the computers, and it looks like a no-brainer. I may even transplant the entire G8 instrument cluster into my 67 Chevelle Wagon.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 10-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Banned

I am looking at doing this on my LS3 C3 Vette. Does anyone know where I can get the pin outs for the 2005+corvette PCM and BCM. Can the DIC be reprogrammed?

thanks
Old 03-27-2010, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Any updates on this?
Old 03-27-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
David,

I am going to do this as well on my latest project. I really want to have cruise control, as well as the driver information center. I am using the 6 speed auto, and it would be nice to have a gear indication. I used the Dakota digital display on my 65 Corvette, but the 6L80E is strictly a computer shifted trans, and the position of the arm does not indicate what gear it is in. The use of a BCM looks pretty straight forward, and I am just going to get the DIC and the BCM from the same G8 that I got the rest of the drivetrain out of.
I was looking at the sequence of operation and the pin-outs on the computers, and it looks like a no-brainer. I may even transplant the entire G8 instrument cluster into my 67 Chevelle Wagon.

Regards, John McGraw
mmm........interesting. Having been through this I dont know that "no brainer" really fits the bill. Even though it looks like it.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Just installed the BCM on an 09' 5.3 E38 Jeep swap. Took a little thinking out but now I have 6 speed tap shift, cruise control, smart charging and shift interlock operating. No need for gauges since I am running the Jeep gauges.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Vegasrobbi, could you provide further details on how you accomplished this feat?
Did you use a tech 2.? Is it just a matter of wiring bcm to ECM and bcm to system modules?
Thanks
Dave
Old 04-03-2011, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's a BCM?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Body Control Module -BCM

Follow the wiring diagram for power and grounds. Connect all grounds! There are power wires hot all the time, in accessory, run and crank.

There was one circuit which the BCM sends out a 5 volt signal through the ignition switch then back to the BCM. This circuit has a drop resistor in the crank position. I did not run it and it threw a B1440 power input mismatch. I simulated the circuit to make the code go away but my outputs worked without it.

I have a Mastertech which I monitored the power modes but a Snap On and others can also get the data.

Two important things to consider, at least in my case.

The GM LAN bus is like a chain. In my case it goes ECM-TCM-BCM-DLC-terminator resistor. Both ends of the chain needs the terminator resistor. There is one in the ECM and the other I added after the DLC.

I bypassed many modules like the fuel pump and transfer case modules. It threw several U1*** codes, communication codes between modules. I calibrated them out with EFI Live, but again, it worked with the codes.

Second, several inputs, like the cruise control switch and shifter button are fed 12 volts from the BCM, then pushing the buttons steps the voltage down through resistors and is fed back to the BCM. I purchased the factory switches to get it working. The GM service manual gives the resistor values and my next project will be to integrate the original Jeep switches.

It's sounds complicated, it's not. Factory cruise is great, worth the extra effort over a pedal puller or modifier.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
Body Control Module -BCM

Follow the wiring diagram for power and grounds. Connect all grounds! There are power wires hot all the time, in accessory, run and crank.

There was one circuit which the BCM sends out a 5 volt signal through the ignition switch then back to the BCM. This circuit has a drop resistor in the crank position. I did not run it and it threw a B1440 power input mismatch. I simulated the circuit to make the code go away but my outputs worked without it.

I have a Mastertech which I monitored the power modes but a Snap On and others can also get the data.

Two important things to consider, at least in my case.

The GM LAN bus is like a chain. In my case it goes ECM-TCM-BCM-DLC-terminator resistor. Both ends of the chain needs the terminator resistor. There is one in the ECM and the other I added after the DLC.

I bypassed many modules like the fuel pump and transfer case modules. It threw several U1*** codes, communication codes between modules. I calibrated them out with EFI Live, but again, it worked with the codes.

Second, several inputs, like the cruise control switch and shifter button are fed 12 volts from the BCM, then pushing the buttons steps the voltage down through resistors and is fed back to the BCM. I purchased the factory switches to get it working. The GM service manual gives the resistor values and my next project will be to integrate the original Jeep switches.

It's sounds complicated, it's not. Factory cruise is great, worth the extra effort over a pedal puller or modifier.
Thanks for the info and great timing. i am currently working on setting up the bcm and gauges in my chevelle.

Were you able to program out all of the communication errors? This has been my main concern. Hopefully i can remove them with hptuners
Old 04-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bsharpe
Thanks for the info and great timing. i am currently working on setting up the bcm and gauges in my chevelle.

Were you able to program out all of the communication errors? This has been my main concern. Hopefully i can remove them with hptuners
I was able to tune out all the U1** codes with EFI Live. I still have some BCM codes like ambient light sensor, tailgate switch...but they do not appear in the ECM or TCM or illuminate the CEL.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Default Hey Vegas questions???? :D

Hey Vegas,
What and where do you find out the terminator resistor ranges? I am currently working on a 2008 ecm/trans harness and wiring it for standalone right now. I have the ecm hooked to tcm with factory length wires then it splits off the data lines to the formed bcm connector. Will i need to add terminator resistors at the data link connector?

I like you bcm idea. may give that some thought in the near future

Sean
Old 12-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Teching In

What do I need to get from the donor vehicle to make cruise work? I plan to use my stock gauges and stock switchs with the voltage divider resitors mentioned by VegasRobbi. If I ask for the BCM and the pigtails from it will that be enough? Are there any harnesses I should ask for uncut? Where exactly is the BCM I should ask for on a 2007 silverado 2500?

Thanks for the help!
Mike
Old 12-17-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
Just installed the BCM on an 09' 5.3 E38 Jeep swap. Took a little thinking out but now I have 6 speed tap shift, cruise control, smart charging and shift interlock operating. No need for gauges since I am running the Jeep gauges.
Which BCM vegasrobbi?
Old 12-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Default Have anybody tried this???

http://spankysrodshop.net/index.php?...ories&Itemid=7

Does this work??
Old 12-18-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by holschen
That's the most common type of cruise for aftermarket use for ETC equipped cars. Sure they work.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rsz288
That's the most common type of cruise for aftermarket use for ETC equipped cars. Sure they work.
Has anyone installed one of these yet? Part #?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:22 AM
Teching In

I am interested in TU/TD and cruise from the BCM. I have messed with it a bit, but not had any real success.

Has anybody successfully used a BCM in a swap and car to give the cliff notes for how to wire it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BCM use with E38 PCM