Sponsored by:

help me select a wideband air/fuel meter

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:14 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default help me select a wideband air/fuel meter

im looking into getting an air/fuel meter for my carbed LS1. I want to see how horrible my demon is before i switch to a holley.

so what do you recommend? should i get a dual sensor meter like the FAST or should i go with a single sensor meter like an AEM with an indash digital gauge?

my exhaust already has the O2 bungs so all i need to do is plug it in.

i found a FAST dual sensor meter on ebay for $411 new with free shipping...
Old 06-23-2009, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you only need a single sensor. innovate lc1 is a good one. you can find it from one of the site sponsors or summit. i think i saw it in the group purchaces a little while back.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

dual sensor tuning is a waste of cash? the FAST looks so kick *** though.

im wondering where i would place the gauge in my car.. it would be nice to have a reading at all times though.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DCx
im looking into getting an air/fuel meter for my carbed LS1. I want to see how horrible my demon is before i switch to a holley.

so what do you recommend? should i get a dual sensor meter like the FAST or should i go with a single sensor meter like an AEM with an indash digital gauge?

my exhaust already has the O2 bungs so all i need to do is plug it in.

i found a FAST dual sensor meter on ebay for $411 new with free shipping...
Since you already have the MSD 6010 box, you might try doing what I did. I'm using an Innovate LM1 with the RPM convertor. You can use it just to read realtime as a guage or you can log with it and download to your computer. With the RPM convertor you can also log five other inputs such as MAP, RPM, TPS, etc. The nice part is, since you already have a MSD 6010, you can tie into the MAP sensor signal wire and the RPM signal...no problem. I did this on mine and it works great! Next up is a TPS sensor. You can find the LM1's on Ebay also at a good price. I bought mine new in box with the RPM convertor for $300.00. Good luck, Ron
Old 06-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Teching In

My vote is the LM1 also.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

LM1! thats what i meant! i had a brainfart
Old 06-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Default Innovate works well in "real time"

I have one mounted in the center console that really helped me get my carb working properly. In 4th on the freeway, the AFR is 15:1+ when just going on a flat road. Idle AFR and under full power are all optimized.

The engine is a ZZ4/383/200R with a QJet in a heavy 3400+lb Jaguar sedan.

Only problem is it's/my failure to dim the gauge lights when it is dark. Really brights lights and very easy read.

It helped increase my fuel mileage and performance a lot. My mileage went from 10 mpg to 15-16 mpg on my 86 mile daily work round trip in heavy So Cal stop and go traffice with the AC on. Plus, this car still has the 3:54 posi until I have time to install the 2:88's and get more mileage.

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 06-23-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

i dont have a working cigarette lighter in my 69 camaro.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

I have an FJO dual channel and it works great
Old 06-25-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Innovate LC-1 is a P.O.S.

First one died after a year....second one died after two weeks....WTF?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Restricted User

sounds like you had a ground loop or some type of wiring problem, Lc-1's are pretty good. Check out Spek's A/F gauge with work with the lc-1, they work great !
Old 06-25-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DCx
i dont have a working cigarette lighter in my 69 camaro.
You're kidding, right? You've built an LS1 powered '69 Camaro, and you can't go to the parts store...buy a simple accessory cigarett lighter and spend 15 minutes wiring it in? Give me a break! LOL
Old 06-26-2009, 03:53 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

every time i have attempted to hook the cigarette lighter to the painless 18 circuit chassis harness it always blows the fuse. then again the original lighter unit in my car looks pretty wasted. i contacted classic industries and a few other parts places for a replacement but they didnt have them in stock. its been a few years since i looked in the repo mags for one.

i never noticed they sold them at the local parts stores. its just a constant hot wire and a ground i assume right?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DCx
every time i have attempted to hook the cigarette lighter to the painless 18 circuit chassis harness it always blows the fuse. then again the original lighter unit in my car looks pretty wasted. i contacted classic industries and a few other parts places for a replacement but they didnt have them in stock. its been a few years since i looked in the repo mags for one.

i never noticed they sold them at the local parts stores. its just a constant hot wire and a ground i assume right?
Yes, just a 12v and a ground. If you don't actually want it to light cigars or cigaretts, you can just wire it with something like 16-18 guage. I put two in my car for temporary use with both hooked to 14 guage and I used one of those spade terminals at one of the fuses in my box so I could just plug it in whenever I wanted to use it. Did the same with ground...slipped a spade terminal under a bolt so I could unhook when not using. Many other ways to do it. I use mine for the LM-1 and my laptop so I can see what my MSD 6010 is doing in realtime. Neither the LM-1 or the laptop uses hardly any amperage, so I used a 5 amp fuse to power the wire to both. Just go to O'reilly or Auto Zone and tell them you want an accessory plug in. People use them for electric shavers, hair dryers, in RV's and anything you can plug in to a cigarett lighter. Hope this helps, Ron
Old 07-02-2009, 06:03 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

i picked up a universal 12v outlet that has a tiny bracket on it. I think i can get away with mounting it where the ashtray goes in my 69. there is a little bracket i can drill and mount and it should stay in place.

i ended up ordering the fast dual sensor unit. i have been reading about it and watched a cool video on it.

should be fun fiddling with my new holley carb.

Quick Reply: help me select a wideband air/fuel meter