Sponsored by:

4.8L 1995 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 03:45 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default 4.8L 1995 Firebird

The car was originally a 1995 V6 Firebird. I bought it on Ebay in March 2007. It was originally used for a maid service. I've only driven it once, and that was from the back of the transporter to my driveway. It's been my project car ever since. I changed the entire look so it would compliment my 2000 Trans Am. The engine is a 4.8L V8 from a 2004 Chevy Truck. As of right now, the only thing I've changed internally is the double-row timing chain. I'll get more done to it as time and money allow.

I just wanted to share my conversion...I'll get to work on a more detailed thread showing all the stuff I've done to the car.

Scott

Here are a few more pics....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/staff-veh...leek-beak.html
Old 06-30-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great. I like where you put the pcm, did you do all your own wiring?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, wasn't expecting that! Nice work and awesome ride.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:32 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by bjamick
Looks great. I like where you put the pcm, did you do all your own wiring?
I did the biggest part of the wiring. The engine harness is a stand-alone kit from Techrods.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it, so is it still a 4.8 or a 5.7? Have you got to drive it yet, if so what did it run? I'd like to see a pic of how you ran the hot in run and start, and the always hot wires (orange and pink ones).
Old 07-01-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

put a carb on it !!
Old 07-01-2009, 01:22 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by bjamick
I like it, so is it still a 4.8 or a 5.7? Have you got to drive it yet, if so what did it run? I'd like to see a pic of how you ran the hot in run and start, and the always hot wires (orange and pink ones).
It's still the 4.8L. I wanted it to be an oddball. My Dad has always enjoyed racing 283's, so I thought I'd somewhat follow in his footsteps. I just dropped the block in yesterday, and if you look closely at the engine shot there is a lot still missing and a lot shown that isn't hooked up yet. Now that the engine is in the car, I can start installing more parts that I've already accumulated.

I've probably got at least two more years before it's drivable. I've got a lot of the more expensive stuff yet to buy (rearend, driveshaft & drivetrain parts).

Originally Posted by holley505
put a carb on it !!
I'm not a carb guy. To me putting a carb on a LS motor is liking taking one step forward and two steps back
Old 07-01-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

very nicely done!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
It's still the 4.8L. I wanted it to be an oddball. My Dad has always enjoyed racing 283's, so I thought I'd somewhat follow in his footsteps. I just dropped the block in yesterday, and if you look closely at the engine shot there is a lot still missing and a lot shown that isn't hooked up yet. Now that the engine is in the car, I can start installing more parts that I've already accumulated.

I've probably got at least two more years before it's drivable. I've got a lot of the more expensive stuff yet to buy (rearend, driveshaft & drivetrain parts).

I'm not a carb guy. To me putting a carb on a LS motor is liking taking one step forward and two steps back
2 Years!! You are way slower than me on a build... I started my new motor in JAN 09

Still not started yet...

But Dam Close! Put oil in it yesterday!!!

BTW...nice car!
Old 07-06-2009, 06:50 PM
'Bird Director

Ok, I feel kind of silly even asking this.....but I'm stumped on exactly what I should do here. I have the engine set up with a Tech Rods stand-alone basic wiring harness. My question is how do I set up the starter? Do I just run wiring to it from the ignition switch, or do I need an MSD box or equivalent to operate it? I have the wiring from the harness tied into the stock ignition switch, but there isn't any wiring from the switch to the starter. I have the stock V6 computer stripped down to the basics to operate all the lights, signals, etc. The LS1 computer is just for the engine harness.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Launching!

positive from battery to the big post on the starter, then take your keyed/switched/push button 12v to the small post on the starter (solenoid). simple as that.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 AM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by SpecV44
positive from battery to the big post on the starter, then take your keyed/switched/push button 12v to the small post on the starter (solenoid). simple as that.
Thank you!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Relay??

Originally Posted by SpecV44
I would preferrably use a relay in the keyed/switched/push button circuit. I know lots of guys dont, and view the relay as something to fail. Well then, carry a spare, you already carry a few spare fuses. Its a bit more wiring, but it will help if you someday have some prolonged engine rolling on the starter for some reason.

Just my $0.02.