Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel supply system cost big $$$

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel supply system cost big $$$

I talked w/ Aeromotive yesterday and they were kind enough to send me 2 lists of in-tank or external fuel supply system for my conversion project. When I had Jegs price it out I about passed out. I have seen several alternate methods and may call some salvage yards today to explore for myself. I plan to build for 600 flywheel. Perhaps I can cut guts out of an Escalade or PU tank and modify to my stock Cutlass tank. Are these tanks stainless?? I figure I will run a regulator at the rails with a return line for best pressure control. Any of yall have success or failure stories??
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Fuel supply system cost big $$$-wheel-size-005.jpg  
Old 07-01-2009, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aeromotive thinks highly of thier products, those complete systems are rediculously expensive. You can piece together your own for far less, it might take some diagraming to get all the right fittings, but it's worth it in the long run $$ wise. I am using a Bosch 044 external pump, it'll support almost 700 hp and is an OEM quality pump. It's cheaper than an A1000 pump which are supposedly louder and will put more heat in your fuel. Read up about Aeromotive on this board, lots of people have had problems with their pumps and they are a bit overkill for 600 flywheel hp. Don't know about tanks specifically (i doubt any stock tank is SS, most likely plastic on newer models) but you can get a Bosch 044 pump for $200, run aluminum hard lines pretty cheaply and then get some braided and fittings to get it to the stock rails (with a corvette reg) or go aftermarket rails and run a regulator afterwards. Fittings get expensive but you shouldn't need a ton of them, especially if you are careful when you map out your system.
Good luck!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to hotrodding

The fuel system was one of the suprise expenses on my swap. Ended up spending way more that I thought I would

Sounds like you got some good advice above. Piece it together yourself with one of the popular Bosch or Walbro pumps. You can get a sump welded onto the bottom of your existing tank fairly cheap. A welded sump and external pump is probably cheaper than having to modify a tank to accept an internal pump.

Braided fuel line and AN stuff is worth the money, but adapting stock stuff is cheaper. You will need at least 3/8 inch lines (AN 6) at that HP. Two 3/8 inch supply lines will carry more fuel and are easier to work with than one 1/2 inch. Aluminum hard line is much easier to work with than stainless. It just needs to be well mounted. Any flexing and it can fail.

One thing I learned, don't cheap out on filters. It is amazing how much one can spend on simple filters.

Any way you look at it 600 HP is going to cost money so be prepared.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The later C5 Corvettes (I think 1999-2005) used a one piece filter/regulator unit. It acts as a fuel filter and a fuel pressure regulator. You can probably make that work for you. A lot of guys here are running the stock unit, but I don't know about that HP level. You can usually get that filter/regulator for about $40 stock.

The one problem is that it has 3 quick-connect style fittings on it. You either have to buy pre-flared 3/8" and 5/16" quick-connect tubing, or find someone with a hydraulic flaring kit that will make the quick-connect flares on regular 3/8 and 5/16 tubing.