Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone put an ls in a g body and pass smog

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone put an ls in a g body and pass smog

im in calif and have an 86 el camino and need it to pass smog what did you need what to look out for stc thanks for your help ahead of time
Old 07-16-2009, 01:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the swap car really doesn't matter.. exsample.. if you pull a LS1 from a 2002 Z28 Camaro.. You basically turn your 86 Elco into a 2002 Z28 camaro.. You would need to have all of the smog equipement from the donner car, in this case a 2002 Z28 camaro.

If the 86 Elco is rated as a truck, you would not be allow to use a Car engine. You can only swap in a Truck engine.. say from a 2002 Silverado... and you would need all of the smog equipement from the trunk and again as with a car engine swap.. it has to pass both visual and functionally.

You need to research the California smog laws.. there are a few thread on this forum about passing smog tests for various state, calf for one.

bottom line is cars and only receive car engine and truck can only receive truck engine. The engine has to the same year or newer. All of the smog relate equipement and functions must operate as the donner engine would have.

That means the Cats, EGR, AIR, Fuel tank sender (for pressure and level), EVAP, etc. would need to be from the donner car/truck.

It is not really that hard, just a bit troublesome to swap over all of the equipement and harness/wires. They will read the VIN in the PCM and that is what your recert will be based on. Granted there are way around it at times.. but it depends on the referree that is doing the ReCert. But do your research 1st.

Where in Calif are you located ?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:53 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

find a crooked shop that passes people for extra cash.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Launching!

The land of fruits and nuts is a tough one when it comes to emissions..

Up until last year, here in IL, all OBDI cars had to pass a roller Dyno test..

Thank the lord they ditched that all together. Now if your OBDI you get a pass on emissions.. Only OBDII need apply..

But alas, if Tax and trade makes it through the senate, California emission standards will be unavoidable.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Teching In

im in los angeles and heard the newr the motor smog would apply but im wonderin if they call it a truck that might hurt me it does have commercial plates does anyone know where i could talk to a referee shop?
Old 07-18-2009, 01:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am sure someone will ping in and suggest a Referee shop. I am in NorCal/SF Bay area. but you can also go on to the Calif DMV web site and get the information.

But it is best to talk to a few shops.. cause they are not very consistant, one may fail you and the next one will pass you... talk to a few and see which one will help you out with good information and seem like might look at thing in a good way..
Old 07-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Teching In

bc what pan did you use and motor mount kit theres so many and people say good and bad about all i was thinkin to leave the f body pan and cut the crossmember what is your opinion?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

I did that swap 5 years ago with no problems, but i'm in Mass.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Teching In

so far what ive found is you cant get a truck mgot the car time to start gatering parts and ideasotor over 6000 gvw engine to pass in a lower gvw car or truck but it looks like the car to truck thing is possible im way under 6000 gvw jags that run have alot of smog info and even assure you its not a big deal so i guess i better get busy
Old 07-18-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I fab'd up some early BRP plates myself and using EnergySuspension motor mounts, I did modify and re-position the frame mounts. I was able to use my stock TH350 trans crossmember with just re-positioning the trans mount tab in the stock location.

I had a F-Body Pan on and teh engine in place, but I didn't like having so little clearance. I then switched to a CTS-V pan and it has the room that I was looking for around the pan. Just had to use Tall/Narrow engine mounts to raise the engine up a bit more.

I did notched the X-Member for the AC but I don't think I like the idea of cutting out more of the X-Member just to clear the oil pan.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Teching In

yeah i heard about the cts v pan has anybody had any luck with the aftermarket pans bc what yur say n is dont cut the x member in the rear?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Teching In

looks like to pass smog im gonna have to use the camaro pump in an el camino tank for the purge valve and evap anybody do this before god i hope so
Old 10-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Steve Elco, I just finished a 100% CA smog legal swap in to a 87 Elco. I have everything you would ever want to know about this emissions legal swap.As of now The car has passed the Smog Ref and we should be taking it today to get the emissions test done. Sorry I only found this thread today. Let me know if you are still doing the swap and have any questions I am sure I will have your answers!

-Joe-
The following users liked this post:
Jose Renteria (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by jmalibuss
Steve Elco, I just finished a 100% CA smog legal swap in to a 87 Elco. I have everything you would ever want to know about this emissions legal swap.As of now The car has passed the Smog Ref and we should be taking it today to get the emissions test done. Sorry I only found this thread today. Let me know if you are still doing the swap and have any questions I am sure I will have your answers!

-Joe-
How's it going i.live in CA I have a 1988 Chevy Caprice with a 350 w a 700r the engine is going out wanted to swap.it for a LS just wondering what e LS would I be able to put in it and be able to pass smog thanks again
Old 05-13-2020, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose Renteria
How's it going i.live in CA I have a 1988 Chevy Caprice with a 350 w a 700r the engine is going out wanted to swap.it for a LS just wondering what e LS would I be able to put in it and be able to pass smog thanks again
You are better off starting your own thread instead of posting on one from 2009.
The following 2 users liked this post by EddieK:
G Atsma (05-13-2020), Jose Renteria (05-14-2020)

Quick Reply: anyone put an ls in a g body and pass smog