Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding an oil cooler...Where?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding an oil cooler...Where?

My car is a bit of a hybrid and i need to choose oil cooler positions this weekend so i can order parts monday and install them by the end of the week. There is a track day event Mon. 27th. I NEED to have this oil cooler installed before then.

Which spot do i chose? I either need to mount the cooler horizontally above the engine in the wing...about 30'' away from engine block fittings about 24'' vertically from fittings. OR...

Mount it in the front of the car in front/on top of the radiator (10-11 feet each run...example-11 foot feed 10.5 foot return...18'' vertical rise to clear front wheel)

I talked to Louis @ LG about the front placement and he suggested -8 an lines if it was street driven and -10 an lines if it was to be tracked. He warned with the -10 an lines my oil pressure would most likely drop to 10 psi after hard driving @ idle. He also said he was unsure of the side effects of long runs since their longest run was only 4 ft.

The cooler has -12 inlet/outlet but the Earl's adapter thermostat i'm getting on monday has -10.

Both locations seem to be a good possibility. I just don't want to see 10 psi oil pressure ever.

I like the earls adapter since it has a T-stat built in that opens at 180*...

The car hasn't had any cooling issues before...but it's never run WOT for 20 mins.

I also posted this identical thread in the Gen 3 Internal section since there are a few more hits in there...even though this is kind of a conversions Q.

Thanks for the suggestions guys,
Russell
Old 07-18-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

How is the air ducted towards the rear?

I would think the cooling benefits wouldn't outweigh the length/psi drop of mounting the cooling up front like that?

Check out this thread on cornver-carvers.com for some rear cooling thoughts. Or heck, almost anywhere else on that site.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by iansane
How is the air ducted towards the rear?

I would think the cooling benefits wouldn't outweigh the length/psi drop of mounting the cooling up front like that?

Check out this thread on cornver-carvers.com for some rear cooling thoughts. Or heck, almost anywhere else on that site.
I cringed too when Louis said 10 psi.

It's not ducted. The cooler would mount IN the wing and hinge up with it when i opened it. Porsche A.G. mounted all intercoolers under the wing for their 911 turbo's from '77-'98 and am thinking that route as well. Just didn't know if the verticle rise over 24'' would be a problem or not.

Thanks for the link!
Old 07-18-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Truthfully, I'd be surprised if it was that little of a drop...

IN the wing, as in, outside the body work? I had guessed that it would mount to the bottom of the decklid, yet still inside and raise up when the wing/decklid were raised. That not the case?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by iansane
Truthfully, I'd be surprised if it was that little of a drop...

IN the wing, as in, outside the body work? I had guessed that it would mount to the bottom of the decklid, yet still inside and raise up when the wing/decklid were raised. That not the case?

Yes that is the case. I'll post a pic ASAP. Inside underneath the decklid vents. It'll also block my motor from view when parked (good thing, except i've gotta change to a drop down air filter to clear the cooler).

I'm thinking up front would only be a good thing if I moved to a stock decklid and made the car a sleeper Sorry for the enormous pic

Quick Reply: Adding an oil cooler...Where?