Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on F-body power steering cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Question on F-body power steering cooler

Is there any reason I sould not put the power steering cooler on the radiator water exit, rather than the radiator water entry hose? Mismatch of hose sizes, or something I'm missing?

My thinking is that greater cooling would take place by putting the power steering cooler on the lower hose.

Has anyone done this?
Old 07-24-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been planning on adding a cooler for my car also. It is a finned 3/8" tube about 24" long. I was going to mount it below the radiator and completely seperate from the radiator. I know when the fluid gets hot, I can feel some lockup trying to occure.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:10 PM
RYU
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
I have been planning on adding a cooler for my car also. It is a finned 3/8" tube about 24" long. I was going to mount it below the radiator and completely seperate from the radiator. I know when the fluid gets hot, I can feel some lockup trying to occure.
bczee - are you thinking of the PS cooler or a trans cooler?

The Power Steering cooler is the long aluminum looking tube below. I'm trying to figure out exactly what to do with mine. I probably won't need it.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by grobb284
Is there any reason I sould not put the power steering cooler on the radiator water exit, rather than the radiator water entry hose? Mismatch of hose sizes, or something I'm missing?

My thinking is that greater cooling would take place by putting the power steering cooler on the lower hose.

Has anyone done this?
I think it's on the upper hose more for packaging requirments than anything, do you really have room to mount it on the lower hose? Also you're correct in thinking that the hoses are different sizes, the lower hose being larger than the upper. Any more cooling would probably not be noticeable anyway. If you're really concerned about it, I would get a completely seperate one like they put on trucks (air cooled).
Old 07-24-2009, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

I think you are probably correct on the packaging requirements, for the factory installation.

I have a great deal of room, so I was thinking that it may be better to put on the bottom. Having said that though, I have an abundance of room for the top also.

I have enough room to put the pop cooler in between:

Old 07-24-2009, 04:36 PM
RYU
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grobb284
I think you are probably correct on the packaging requirements, for the factory installation.

I have a great deal of room, so I was thinking that it may be better to put on the bottom. Having said that though, I have an abundance of room for the top also.

I have enough room to put the pop cooler in between:

you can put two LS motors in tandem with all that space!
Old 07-24-2009, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

M-M-M-M-M, V-16, me like.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow, I just realized I saw this on the Power Tour. Chassis work looked great, going to be bad *** when it's finished! You should start a build thread, if you haven't already.
Attached Thumbnails Question on F-body power steering cooler-photo1102.jpg   Question on F-body power steering cooler-photo1101.jpg  
Old 07-24-2009, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the kind words.

Quick Reply: Question on F-body power steering cooler