Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird issue, looking for thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weird issue, looking for thoughts

Alrighty, Havn't been posting much lately. Between a new girlfriend, work being busy, and driving the car, it doesn't leave me with much spare time...

72 Chevelle, wait4me harness, 6.0l/4l80e. It has been running with ZERO issues for 4 years now.

Anywho I was driving the car tonight. Went to a buddies place, right as I rolled up the car started to stumble. I shut it off and went to fire it. The car barely idled, and had no throttle response(drive by wire).

I hit the battery cut off, turn it on, go to start the car, and the car started but died instantly. Last time I had this issue it was a bad throttle body. Got one from a wreck yard and it worked flawless(4 years now) I was low on gas so we filled it up just to make sure, but no success.

Now I get the car towed home. Roll into the garage and go to show my dad what its doing and the car fired right up, throttle body works, and the car is running like normal again.

What are your thoughts on this guys? Throttle body on its way south??

Thank you!

-Matt
Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked for any codes?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Without more inform, be hard to tell what is wrong, so I guess we start throwing out guess. But as V8 said, check for code and use a scanner for the inputs from the sensors.

What about fuel pressure.. ? Fuel pump or filter could be going bad ? Do you have a pressure gauge on the rail ? I have had electrical wiring problem with the wiring bulkhead for my pump and it gave some of the same descriptions of problems. It would die, not startup or try to startup.

Check the Grounds, maybe some connector is lose, Relay/fuse bad ?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

You didn't say how long you tried to get it to run before having it towed, but if it's not throwing any codes like was stated earlier, it sounds like you might have just been out of gas. If you're running a returnless fuel rail, and have the filter/regulator near the rear of the car with a really long single line to the front, sometimes they can take a while to prime back up. I've had that happen before, but it doesn't seem to happen as bad on my car with the F/PR mounted more toward the front. At least that's been my experience, just a thought.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Have you checked for any codes?

No way of checking codes currently. Will check when I can get my hands on one.

What about fuel pressure.. ? Fuel pump or filter could be going bad ? Do you have a pressure gauge on the rail ? I have had electrical wiring problem with the wiring bulkhead for my pump and it gave some of the same descriptions of problems. It would die, not startup or try to startup.

Check the Grounds, maybe some connector is lose, Relay/fuse bad ?
Both filter and pump are good. Afterwards the car ran great. It would lean out if the pump was on its way out. Air/fuel was dead on when in boost.

Grounds are all good because everything works fine... Fuel pump always cycles, always get spark, everything else works fine. Fuse will not allow a intermitent problem. There are no relays that relate to the engine running aside from 1 from a keyed source to the pcm. However that one works because everything I hit the key, the computer tells the fuel pump to kick on.

You didn't say how long you tried to get it to run before having it towed, but if it's not throwing any codes like was stated earlier, it sounds like you might have just been out of gas. If you're running a returnless fuel rail, and have the filter/regulator near the rear of the car with a really long single line to the front, sometimes they can take a while to prime back up. I've had that happen before, but it doesn't seem to happen as bad on my car with the F/PR mounted more toward the front. At least that's been my experience, just a thought.
I tried starting it till the battery started to die. Fuel is regulated at the fuel rail(truck intake). and returns from the intake back aswell.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

I vote for a code check then a fuel system check if no codes.

Quick Reply: weird issue, looking for thoughts