Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Clearence

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Clearence

Hi guys,
I'm doing an LS1 swap on a 1969 Camaro. I'm using BRP Hotrods engine mount kit. The engine fits and will bolt in, but the oil pan (F-Body) is resting in the center link, only on the drivers side. I don't really want to buy the LH8 oil pan as it hangs down below the crossmember. I could modify the F-Body pan(last resort). Also Rack and Pinion setups seem costly and people don't have much good to say about them. Is there a center link I can use that has a drop to it that will give the proper clearence, can I modify or grind the center link to create the clearence I need. Looking for some info.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

There is some good info in the stickies, check the Hall of Fame threads, there is a complete 1st Gen Swap Guide.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...e-threads.html

You will need to use an aftermarket pan (with external filter ), the LH8 pan you already know about, or cut and reweld the 4th Gen F-body pans sump about 2.5" back and 2.5" in depth (with S+P style mounts). I also had to lengthen my pickup tube 1" from the notching procedure.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Launching!

There may be a longer/shorter idler arm/pitman arm to move the centre link forward.I have heard of this problem before and they used different length idler arm and pitman arm.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Sell the F-body pan, buy a Champ / Autokraft pan.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Teching In

autokraft makes a pan for 67-69 f-body conversions. i comes with new oil pump pick up. i thinks its about 400.00.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Clearence