Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

second engine same f'd up issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default second engine same f'd up issues.

I got the first ls1 up and running in my camaro, went and tested the radiator for hydrocarbons to make sure it was good. It had HC in the rad so i bought one of the block testers and it failed, turned yellow/green. that engine had 66k on it from a 02 f body. So i got another engine from the warranty, it was a 00 y with 37k. i switched everthing over got it running and same thing. HCs at the rad but this one did not fail the block test colored water deal. My first thought was bad head gaskets but on two engines kinda weird. anyone have any ideas. car does not overheat. fans turn on and cool it down. im using the original t-stat. Nothing explains the HCs though. The first engine was a black cloud and had issues from day one so i expected something to be wrong with it. The rest just doesnt make sense.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you replace the coolant and flush/clean whatever radiator components got reused?

I don't know how sensitive those tests are. Maybe you are just picking something left over from the last engine?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Teching In

thats kinda what i was thinking, i used new coolant but i dis not flush anything out. THe weird thing is the HCs made there way up to about 1k in about 20 sec. if there where any left over gases i would not think there would be that much.

also, i notice that after i drive it for a while, i can hear the coolant bubbling in the rad. when i turn it off. i dont know if this is normal or not?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Launching!

sounds like you have air in the system (the bubbling).

to ensure that you have ALL the old coolant flushed, pull the top hose off, start the car, fill the radiator with water and keep your hose handy. when the t-stat opens it will suck all that water in and push the warm water out, it shouldnt take very long until the water is coming out clear.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Could u tell us more about the HC test ? where to buy and how it works ?
Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Teching In

to get the HC numbers i used a smog machine at the dealer i work at. (not a gm dealer though) just take off the rad cap and let it run, put the sniffer right ther but dont let the coolant touch the machine. It gives the HCs reading on the computer.

the other test is the one from napa with the test tube looking thing and the bluw water that turn green/yellow if there is exhaust gasses in the cooling system.

going to try and get the air out tonight and see what happens. when i put this engine it i just filled it through the top hose into the engine then the radiator but i didnt think about the heater core so i will see how it goes tonight.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lsxfirstgen
to get the HC numbers i used a smog machine at the dealer i work at. (not a gm dealer though) just take off the rad cap and let it run, put the sniffer right ther but dont let the coolant touch the machine. It gives the HCs reading on the computer.

the other test is the one from napa with the test tube looking thing and the bluw water that turn green/yellow if there is exhaust gasses in the cooling system.

going to try and get the air out tonight and see what happens. when i put this engine it i just filled it through the top hose into the engine then the radiator but i didnt think about the heater core so i will see how it goes tonight.

How are you sealing the air in the shop from getting sucked in to the tester?You can't just hold the probe above the rediator filler hole. The HC is coming from the room air contaminated with exhaust gas.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Teching In

we were doing it outside,the whole engine compartment had 0 hcs. about 2 inches above the open cap gets the reading without getting coolnat in the sniffer