Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

before build wiring problem

Old 07-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default before build wiring problem

the problem child 02 trans am, i bought wrecked car to pull motor/trans/harness for my chevelle build. I was in the process of selling parts off the car i didnt need for my build when NOW the car no longer cranks.
The front bumper and headlights were pulled off to be sold and i had a guy needing part of the headlight harness for his car(because of melted wiring). I thought.. hey i don't need any of the headlight wiring for my car so i let him get it. He spliced out wires from headlights through the harness up close to beside the radiator on drivers side.
Besides the headlight wiring, what in the front radiator area wiring could cause the car to no longer crank? Also the air pump wires were cut from the harness.
None of the wiring diagrams i have found say anything about headlights or air pump and those "having" to be connected to run.
Should i go buy a manual or something from a parts place to hopefully find a wiring diagram to find the wires that were cut?
thanks for any help i can get.

pic of wiring prob.
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=272726

Last edited by cypher; 07-28-2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: adding picture link
Old 07-29-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Those two things you mentioned won't cause it not to start. But I'd start by checking the easy things first, is it in park? Sounds like a dumb question, but you never know. Did you or the guy buying wiring harness remove any relays? Have you tied to start it by jumping the starter terminals? When you put it in the Chevelle, you'll need to find the purple wire that goes from the starter relay to the starter, try finding that and power it to see if it'll crank that way. It has to be something simple if it was running before you started to part it out.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Teching In

the car spins over fine, i did check one plug wire last night at the coil and it didnt have any spark when the motor was spinning, and i could hear the fuel pump running when you turned the key on.
No relays or fuses were removed, only those wires from the headlights and the air pump....there were 5 black wires that i "think" were all grounds, 2 i know for sure where, the two have been regrounded. there is also one 12gauge red wire(you can see it in the second pic linked) that was cut in the harness with the rest in between the radiator and fuse relays on the drivers fender.

i didnt think any of the wiring that was cut would have caused it not to crank, but apparently something happened during that time that i cant figure out.
Im just thinking i would be best to figure out the problem now, before anything else is removed before the transplant.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Check any of the wiring that goes to the Crank Sensor, or check that Sensor itself.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Teching In

OK... not thinking about this or thinking it could have any ill affect... BUT i pulled the radio out, could/would that cause something with the security and make the car not crank?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

I don't think so..
Old 07-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Default Ground

I had a similar issue with the wiring for the LS1 I'm putting in my old 68 LeMans. I'm using most of the wiring from the donor car, including the dash and underhood wiring and fuse/relay box. This sounds weird, but there's a ground for some of the relays in the underhood fuse/relay box in those wires that were cut to remove the headlight wiring (at least that's what the issue was in my case).

Try grounding the rest of those black wires. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Good Luck,
Tony
Old 08-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Teching In

made sure all the grounds where grounded, but started checking fire on fuses.. should the 15A INJ-1 , 15A INJ-2, 15A ENG CTRL have fire either with the key on or while the motor is spinning over?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

They should have power in both cases, when cranking, when running, and with just the key on.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Teching In

hmm.. i have no power there at any of those three.
so power come from the ignition relay to feed power correct?
im attempting to read schematics and i think thats what it says.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

No, power for them should be from the Fuse Box.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Teching In

opinion--
1)should i just not waste time working on finding what is causing the wiring issue and just start pulling the motor/harness.. find the problem once i rip apart the harness to go in chevelle.
OR
2)find problem now, get it running, then take it all apart and build harness?

if (2), since there is no power to any side of those fuses, could it be a ground causing the no power issue to the fuses? or should i look elsewhere?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

#1.. quit waste your time.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bczee
#1.. quit waste your time.
I'll second that. When you pull the engine and wiring harness, you'll find that the engine harness is pretty much all by it's self, meaning there's no headlight wires or anything like that in it. Since you said it was running before the guy cut some light wires, that tells me that something got accidentally cut, and since you already know it runs, I wouldn't bother with it. When the engine harness is out, it should be easy to spot any damage.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Teching In

my dad showed up today to take the car to his house and ended up finding the non cranking problem in like 2 minutes... where was he two weeks ago??
Ended up being a wire that needed grounded that was hidden behind the radiator. The car is loaded up on the trailer to take to his house so the next time I'm down his way, the motor comes out.

Last edited by cypher; 08-08-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: before build wiring problem