Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb ABS question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb ABS question

What ECU hookups are there (if any) for an 05 GTO ABS module to the main ECU?

I'm concerned I'm being led in the wrong direction on my build - I've been told I have to upgrade my LS1 to LS2 spec (05 GTO, electronic throttle) to get the ABS integrated, and I can't for the life of me see why. I'm happy to use the 05 clutch/brake pedal setup, but don't see why I need the DBW LS2.

It has C5 fronts and GTO rear ABS sensors. I'm not sure why it isn't PnP with the 05 GTO ABS module. What am I missing?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Ok to have some chance of getting a reasonable answer I think I need to provide more details.

My new car is a custom build.
The hubs are from a C5 corvette, so front hub sensors are C5.
Differential from an 05 GTO, so GTO rear sensors.

The engine is a new crate LS2. For reasons too numerous to go into, I've ended up with a 24x reluctor version. This makes the wiring harness 2x the cost of the 58x, and I'm all bent out of shape about this. If anyone wants to swap the engine for a new 58x version, pm me...

It's having a T56 stuck on the back of it, so the TCM isn't required.

The ECU, PCM, Throttle pedal and TAC are all 05 GTO.
So with a custom harness, I can get TBW without too much anguish, other than to my wallet.

Ok, that's the lengthy preamble over. I'll get to the point.
My questions follow:

I have the Vette front ABS harness. The ABS module and pump are 05 GTO. I'm told that it'll plug right in as the signals are the same.
Is this right?

Apparently the ABS hooks up to the ECU through the PCM (which is the only reason I have it).
Does it really just plug in? Can it be this easy?

The only inputs I have to the ABS ECU are the connection to the PCM, the four wheel (or diff) sensors and the low pressure switch. I'm told that's enough. Again it seems too easy.
Is anything else required to make this work?

The tuning shop isn't sure if the ABS ECU needs any editing to account for differences in weight, tires, wheels or anything else. I'm concerned this will turn into an expensive fishing expedition as they never did this before.
Are there any programmable parameters like this?

I only have the parts I've listed.
Is anything obvious missing?

I want to run a hydroboost setup.
Does the stock ABS preclude this?

My other choice is to sell off what I have and install hydroboost and a proportioning valve.

If ABS is straightforward, I'd like it. If it's going to take a long time or add more cost, I can live without it.

Any answers to the above greatly appreciated.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think, but not certain that you would also have to have the bcm to run ABS. If you're going to run hydroboost, forget about the abs. It's going to be more trouble than it's worth.