Register Forgot Password?
Search

Conversions & Hybrids
LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by
Don Hardy Race Cars

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1
Default Rubber fuel hose for injection?

I just put together my fuel system for my chevelle and used rubber fuel line for fuel injection. most of my fittings are barbed or have a big lip on them. My question is how much pressure is this designed for and is a single worm clamp on each fitting enough to hold the pressure. I am just worried about this line bursting and causing a fire. thanks
supershift67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

the line should have a maximum psi written on it, as for the clamps and barbs i'm not sure, i'd at least double worm clamp them, but i'd still be worried, idle psi on stock ls1 is around 50-60 psi, that's alot in my book
good luck, i'd redo it with braided line and fittings but that's me
Old 08-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 49

Did you use fuel injection hose...as in has the teflon liner? They make a smooth bore clamp for that line, that doesn't cut into the rubber......any auto parts should have them.....

IMO, you are taking a chance using standard line and clamps......as cooks7 said, you are looking at 50 to 60 psi, as opposed to a regular system of 10-15 psi...quite a difference.....

T,
TomM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic
1953 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 12

I have a short (14") piece of rubber fuel injection hose on the pressure side of mine. It runs from the pump to the regulator. I used good quality screw type clamps. No problem after about 3 years and 9k miles.

Pat
1953 Studebaker Starlight Coupe Custom, 2000 LS1, LS6 manifold, valve springs & PCV, ETC, Sanderson Headers, 4L60E, Yank Stealth 2800. 68 Nova Subframe, Ford 8 inch, 3.80 posi. 27 MPG, 13.55@102, 30k miles since the swap and counting.
Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ge=1&reverse=0
"Its gotta be bitchin', its gotta be low, and its gotta be drivable." - Fat Jack
Stu Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
On The Tree
1963 Studebaker Avanti

Trader Rating: 9

The Walbro installation kit for their fuel pump comes with those barb fittings, so they must work.

Additional LS1 Studebaker Avanti photos available in "my garage".
grobb284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 12

As long as the both the hose and clamps are rated for the PSI that is being generated by the Pump. There should be no problem. yes, you want to be safe and have the warm and fuzzy feeling about it. If you look a almost all of the OEM pump/sender setups. they are using both rubber and teflon/plastic hose and screw clamp...

But in general, we all seem to like the overkill factor. I am sure that many of us and other applicaiton have used standard rubber hose and clamp with FI rated for years.
71' Nova - LS1/4L60E , Full Hotchkis TVS Suspension
79' G-30 SWB 4X4 Van, 400cid / TH350 NP205
48' Ford F-1 1/2 Ton Truck, Stock 6cyc/3sp
bczee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 37

i have my crap rigged uped.. im running a aluminum fuel line most off the way to the mtor from fuel cell. i acidently used heater hose, diidnt pay attetion.. line got a pin hole size leak in it.. i plan reduing it with stainlees steel line all the way to the motor and be done with it.. my return line is complety out of rubber line. with no clamps on them,, no pressure of course.. but yes rubber hose will work,, and the clamps will hold.. im running duel 255's. 68 psi..
chevellepowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 6

I use EFI hose and "seamless pinch clamps". These clamps are used in a lot of OEM applications and are tried and tested for safety.
Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #9
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

The hose I am using says fuel injection on it but there is no pressure rating on it so thats what made me wonder about it. I have seen the fuel injection hose with the liner but nobody seems to know what that is around here. I have a walbro pump going to a professional products adjustable regulator and that goes to a professional products fuel filter that has 1/4 inch NPT fittings on them. these all have the brass barbed fittings on them also. thanks for all the input so far guys. I will post more info on my build after I get more pictures.
supershift67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

I'm using Aeroquip socketless (pusk-lock) rubber hose. Works great if you follow the instructions.
1968 Camaro Convertible - LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost.
Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:16 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
cars, clamps, fuel, hose, injected, injection, line, pressue, pressure, psi, rating, rubber, safe, teflon, worm