Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I might give up on my LS1 swap after all

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I might give up on my LS1 swap after all

The more and more I look into the LS1 swap for my 69 Nova the more I get put off by it. My car is about to come out of paint in about 3 weeks and I am still not 100% sure if I can tackle this swap. I currently have a 99 LS1 with a 4l60E trans when bought the seller advised me that it had 60,000 miles when pulled comes with ecu and wiring but the you will probally have to replace the harness or repair due to the fact the seller cut the fule pump fuse box off. I am just not sure at the end of the day I will truly be happy with paying well over 5000 dollars to get this motor in my car with the same or less horsepower then a 383 carb for less money and time. Well if anyone has words of encourgement or want to make an offer on the motor let me know I bought the motor for 2,900 and would be willing to take offers. Also I will try to get some pics of it up here in the next day or so.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:08 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wiring is not that big of a deal if you take your time and do some research
Old 08-11-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

You already spent the cash on it, just do it I think you will be really happy at the end and nothing screams wicked cool like a LS in true old school muscle car.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Launching!

You can pick up a brand new stand alone harness for around $350 if you shop around.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Stick with the swap!

This board has such a wealth of knowledge and helpful people that are just as excited about your swap as you are.

There are many supporting vendors that can help you with the wiring issues.

The big bucks are already spent. Why take a loss and build another motor?
Go for it!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Launching!

yea and the milage difference alone will be worth it in the end. Tons of potential in the ls.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

the first swap is always kind of intimidating. It is actually very easy to modify your own harness if you do a little research. There is a fairly decent aftermarket for the LS1 swap for your car to. I just did a swap in a 70 nova and it was actually a piece of cake. dont give up just yet, you will be pleased in the end!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Launching!

KEEP IT. that said where are you located. I am doing my first swap (ls type) but have done lt1 in the past. I am sure other people would not mind giving you a hand but, reading should be first. Make a list of items and shop around.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i've literally rebuilt both my engine and trans, modified the factory harness, and sunk about twice what you have into my '71 swap. but you can easily do it for under $5k.

trust me, just take some time, do your research (here's a good source of info), and i guarantee you'll love the end result. plus gaining more power down the road will be much easier. and driveability will be waaaay improved vs. a carb'd 383.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Teching In

keep it! it really doesn't take that much to get them up and running. once youve done that you can take your time and fine tune it from there. My first sway in 2002 was that way. I took the next couple of years adjusting things and learning what the best options for my application were. Now ive done a few more and its as easy as putting in a small block.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

The Wiring is easy once you get in there and do it, keep it.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

continue forth with the ls.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Launching!

I am still putting the finishing touches on my first swap. My swap was especially more difficult because the LS motors were never mated to a 4WD manual tranny so I had to make a LOT of custom parts. I did not have any fabrication or welding skills before this project and now I can take on just about anything. I wanted to give up several times, especially with my Bronco buddies wanting to sever my head. Now that they have heard the motor and ridden in it they understand why the LS is the best motor ever built. I have actually gotten my most die hard Ford buddy into swapping one into his '74 Bronco roadster build.

Think of how much experience and knowledge you will gain... Keep on trucking man, it's more than worth it in the end.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Default send me some ideas please

Well to let everyone know I am located in cent Florida if anyone would be down to lend a helping hand I would love the help. And also if anyone has any killer deals or site with some please let me know. I about BRP and Speartech and some other companys. I heard some bad stuff about BRP and mounts not fitting right and I am having a hard time with locating a trans cross member sold seperat from any kit. And I cant use the weld in ones due to the fact I dont have a welder. I did find a harness on ebay for 549 shipped and its a stadalone. The other main question I had was what Oil pan i have read some blog and they all seem to point toward the stock truck pans but then everyone says those pans sit to low. Anyways any help will be good help. Thanks again
Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep it, and do the swap. I have been working on small block Chevy's for over thirty years.....(Yes I'm a GM guy)......suffice to say, I will never go back to the old small blocks again for anything I build. These engines are amazing. I am getting right at 24MPG, runs 170 degrees all day long in Texas heat with the A/C on...at idle mind you, and has right at 350 HP, and I haven't even torn into the motor yet...

You can always sell your current setup to recoup some cash.....heck, I swapped out a 400 horse roller motor that I just put in my car that had 250 miles on it for the LS, and never looked back....

Where abouts are you located..if you need help, I'll do whatever I can. I hate to see you get discouraged....believe me, it's worth it, my tuner even said my little Chevy 2 drove and shifted like a new car........I've been impressed since I completed the swap.

T,
Old 08-11-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the faith brother! Do the swap. For an oil pan, Street & Performance (www.hotrodlane.cc) sells a modified pan for $250 exchange for your old pan. I found mount adapters on EBay for $40 that are steel versions of the S&P aluminum ones. That's one of many options for you. You will have some challenges, but they can all be overcome as you see so many here that have been successful. If you go the 383 route, you will have "just another Nova with a SBC." You will be so happy with the drivability, economy and power of the LS1.

Good luck with the swap, read the Stickys at the top of the page. Lots of good info there.

Pat
Old 08-11-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man im doing a 70 rs camaro, the easiest part was the ls1 swap. The swap has been done for almost a year now. The car sits still because the damn body work isnt finished yet!!!! honestly its a pretty easy swap, I think at the end of the day when it is finished you will be very happy with it. Its very streetable, it makes good power, better gas mileage, looks badass in the car, and can make big numbers with little mods done to the motor. Also there is guys that will do the wiring for you if your not sure you want to do it, and they dont charge that much.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

i was seriously concered about the wiring too, but my budget didn't allow a standalone. i just got all the diagrams i could find, they're all on here somewhere, and tore into it. its really not that hard at all. just read up, and dive in. you'll be glad you did.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wiring is easy to do yourself... if you don't want to do it there are "cost effective" stand alone harnesses to buy, and there are plenty of people that will do it for you... for a price.

Driveability, cleanliness, economy, and that the LSx are fast replacing the SBC in every way is what keeps me going.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:21 PM
RYU
Staging Lane

Do it!

For once, I'm spending less than I expected. The extra $ went into suspension parts and other goodies here and there that I wanted to install while everything was torn apart - this by far is the greatest challenge to staying within budget!

This is my first real swap and i've had a blast. I've been diligently working and just the swap itself is taking me roughly 3-4 months working about 1-2 hours a day on avg. It's a great way to wind down. Whatever hurdles you come across you should be confident that everyone in this community will have the answers if you ask with enough detail.

oh! include this in the budget... you'll find yourself buying a lot of tools if you don't have them already.