Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just curious

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just curious

I drive small British cars for fun. I like them with large American engines in them.

Da Missus doesn't get it. She can't see why I bother. That said, she has a heavy right foot and she also keeps harking back to the car she had when she was in high school.

It's a Chrysler Le Baron. Apparently it was red

Now she has one of those birthdays coming up shortly that means you are supposed to get something special.

I know nothing about Chrysler except that they went bankrupt.

My question's therefore are fairly short. I hope the answers are simple and equally short.

1. Can I fit an LS3 with an auto tranny in a LeBaron without cutting?
2. What diff do I need if (1)

I checked out the prices of these things. They aren't exactly expensive. Her second favourite was a 68 Vette, so this is a far more palatable option. My kid's college fund appreciates any help you can offer
Old 08-14-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I recall right, only the 1st gen Chrysler Le Baron was rear wheel drive, the following gen's were front wheel drive..

would not know how big the engine bay is. but you might be able to stuff a LS3 into the 1st gen only, they did come with a 360/V8.. after that for the front wheel, it was 4 cyl... ... and well, if you going to take on the later model, you better have and engineering degree.. LOL..

Good luck...
Old 08-14-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alan_a
I drive small British cars for fun. I like them with large American engines in them.
Mmmmmmmm Sunbeam Tiger...

bczee was almost right, but LeBarons were actually made as early as the 1940s - and with some of them having Chrysler big-blocks in 'em, they'd certainly be capable of moving out nicely. (As a kid, I once owned a 440-powered New Yorker that I used to outrun the highway patrol one time...) The Corvette would be cool, but for platform-specific parts you'd have the "Vette tax", which bruises the budget a bit.

One other option that might be worth considering - Instead of looking to the past, make some new memories! Find out if there are any other vehicles that catch her eye that might be easier to swap into. An example might be a 5.3 into an '87 - '92 Camaro/Firebird convertible - I've never known a woman who didn't like convertibles, parts for the cars are still available (and there's a decent aftermarket also) & the swap is fairly straightforward & well-documented. PLUS, with just a few mods, that "little" 5.3 will probably b!tch-slap just about any LeBaron ever made into the weeds on the side of the road...

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

How about a Miata.. its small like a British MG Miget or the Tiger, has a drop top and there are many you can get for low cost to start with.

V8R.. yeah. I just assumed that if she was driving it in High School, it would be of the late 70's to 80's vintage... I did a little research. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_le_baron

But almost any car is a candidate for a swap now adays.. the +83' model New Yorker Fifth Ave. would be the same platform also..
Old 08-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Oh no.
She hates my cars.
All of them.

Passionately.

She also thinks a Miata is a hairdressers car, and tells me she'll kill me if I ever buy her another stick shift (don't ask).

From what I can tell, she probably had an M body. She's not into Camaros and that sort of stuff, so it'd have to be either that or a 70's Vette. I can't afford a 68.

I'll think about it a bit longer - I have to wait until my new toy's finished regardless.

Last edited by alan_a; 08-14-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well.. good luck then...
Old 08-15-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking

She also thinks a Miata is a hairdressers car...
I nearly spewed coffee on my desk at that one...!

(LS1Tech builds excepted, of course!)
Old 08-15-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a Chrysler Le Baron. Apparently it was red
Did it belong to Jon Voight?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by crainholio
Did it belong to Jon Voight?
It may have had John Voight's chewed pencil in it.

Quick Reply: Just curious