Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick ? for guys with ls1 accessories on ur 5.3, new alternator location? w/pics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Quick ? for guys with ls1 accessories on ur 5.3, new alternator location? w/pics.

i just put the water pump and alternator from an ls1 onto my 5.3. i was wondering did u guys change out the crank pulley also? sorry if it sounds dumb, but the truck one is ginormous and not lined up. also will the location of my alternator seem ok as far as the belt not fallen off i can just always get the tensioner that goes on the water pump.

sorry for the angled pics , its the engine stand, damn arm didnt reach to bolt the block to it.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The F-Body balancer and the Truck Balancer are different depths. You would either need to space out the bracket 3/4" or use the F-body crank pulley.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Clamp a flat edge on the front of the crank pulley, then measure from the flat edge to the first groove on both the crank pulley and the alternator pulley. As long as those two are spot on you should be OK. Like said above you may need to shim/shave that bracket a bit to get everything to line up.

Belts you can get in almost any length.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

As stated by GA95DCMSS, to use F-Body accessories in stock locations, you need to use F-Body balancer/crank pulley. I have a question for you guys, what F-Body application has the alternator way up high on the driver's side like the pic above?

Rob

Last edited by robbied31; 08-23-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe the vette accessories move the alt up high. Truck accessories do too.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by topher455
I believe the vette accessories move the alt up high. Truck accessories do too.
c5 use top mount driver side alt with ps pump right below it.
they both mount to the same bracket which is similar to the truck bracket but lower profile and tucks in closer to the engine.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vandejr
i just put the water pump and alternator from an ls1 onto my 5.3. i was wondering did u guys change out the crank pulley also? sorry if it sounds dumb, but the truck one is ginormous and not lined up. also will the location of my alternator seem ok as far as the belt not fallen off i can just always get the tensioner that goes on the water pump.

sorry for the angled pics , its the engine stand, damn arm didnt reach to bolt the block to it.
that does not look steering gear, kmember, shock tower friendly
Old 08-24-2009, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

So,
If the above pic is of the vette accessories, the balancer will be 1 1/2" off. The difference between truck and F-Body accessories is 3/4" [If I am not mistaken] and the difference between F-Body and Vette accessories is another 3/4" [if I am not mistaken]. So if alternator bracket is off vette, to use the truck balancer, you will have to space the alt bracket an inch and a half. Easier to get the proper/matching balancer.

Rob
Old 08-24-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by robbied31
So,
If the above pic is of the vette accessories, the balancer will be 1 1/2" off. The difference between truck and F-Body accessories is 3/4" [If I am not mistaken] and the difference between F-Body and Vette accessories is another 3/4" [if I am not mistaken]. So if alternator bracket is off vette, to use the truck balancer, you will have to space the alt bracket an inch and a half. Easier to get the proper/matching balancer.

Rob
it is easier to use brackets with corresponding crank pulley. the c5 and the fbody are the most popular for swaps. unless u are looking to mix and match it will take some measuring to align correctly
Old 08-24-2009, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

swap is going in a first gen s10 thats why i mount the alternator a little higher to clear steerin box . i will be getting a fbody pulley so it will line up. i wanted to use the truck accesories but the tensioner and the waterpump on the truck bracket interfered with the ls1 intake/tb swap. its a 5.3,with ls1 fbody waterpump, ls1 fbody alternator and bracket in new location,ls1 intake/tb. pic has old truck pulley, but just ordered a fbody pulley.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:15 AM
TECH Resident

I have a bracket that will locate the f-body or gto alt to the passenger side head but it requires that you run power steering or a pulley to replace it. It also requires the stock tensioner from an f-body or gto. pm me if interested. you can see it in this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ject-pics.html

Quick Reply: Quick ? for guys with ls1 accessories on ur 5.3, new alternator location? w/pics.