Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle & Hesitation Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Idle & Hesitation Issues

I need some help with my '02 5.3 swap into my '67 Bronco. On start up the idle jumps way up, almost to 3K and the slowly comes down. Even when it settles at high idle when revved it comes down slowly. Also when I am driving it drives normal when under about 30% throttle, but whenever I depress the throttle further it has a huge hesitation and doesn't accelerate any faster. The MAF is brand new and I cleaned it just to be sure, my O2s are brand new but have been causing issues (wouldn't explain the idle), I have sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and cannot find a leak. If I unplug my TPS sensor the idle drops down to normal & when revved it drops back down quickly like it should. Also when I unplug the IAC nothing happens? Any suggestions on what the issue is? The only codes I am pulling are P0507 (high idle), P0134 & P0154 (O2 inactivity). Obviously I am replacing the O2s, but what about the idleing and hesitation/ no-go issues?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Nobody has any input?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Try hooking up the O2's. That may alleviate your problem. Once you've got the o2 going it's one less thing that could potentially cause your problem. Are you using DBW or Cable TB? If it's cable type, then ensure that your TPS is adjusted correctly.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Thanks for replying. I have always had O2s hooked and they never threw a code until now, but the motor has always done this since swapped. It is a cable TB and I just got a hold of spare TPS & IAC sensors. My understanding is that you only need to adjust the TPS on an aftermarket TB? I will try replacing it in a couple hours because I have a spare.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:05 PM
9 Second Club

was the tune messed with. If so, return all tables to stock and start from there. Maake sure heads grounds are good and make sure the alt charging, low batt will send idle and fuel thru the roof.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

have you ran a vacuum test on the motor? ive had high idle issues once when i plugged the egr hole and it didnt seal correctly.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Launching!

The tune is all stock, just modified for no emmisions. I have not performed a vacuum test per se, but I have sprayed every square inch of the motor with carb cleaner and got no response anywhere.

Tonight I put in new O2s and that took care of the O2 code of course. I pulled a functional TB w/ TPS & IAC sensors off of my buddies motor and swapped it in and it made no difference to the idle issue. I also put a can of Seafoam in the tank and ran it around some and the hesitation lessened but it is still prevelant. I think the hesitation issue may be a mixture of dirty injectors & what ever is causing the idleing problem (maybe causing a lean condition).

The odd part is that if I am cruising at 60MPH & 1700 RPM and roll into the throttle the vehicle actually seems to slow down and as I ease out of the throttle it starts accelerating again (change in speed is very mild, but noticeable). WTF?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you had a fuel pressure gauge on it that you could see while driving? The last thing you described sounds like low fuel pressure so as you get on it at speed it actually leans out past the lean burn limit and the car noses over..picking back up when you get off the throttle. How is the fuel system set up?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
Have you had a fuel pressure gauge on it that you could see while driving? The last thing you described sounds like low fuel pressure so as you get on it at speed it actually leans out past the lean burn limit and the car noses over..picking back up when you get off the throttle. How is the fuel system set up?
I have been thinking the same thing. I drove it to work today and it drives plenty normal and has tons of power under 1/3 throttle, when I push it past about 1/3 throttle all I get is hesitation. The fuel system on the block is stock, from the block back it has all new lines & new MSD fuel pump. I have a Early Bronco gathering starting Thursday down in Oregon so I was hoping to have all power available to show those Ford guys what a real motor can do stock. Being I don't have the time to get a fuel pressure gauge and get it installed, what could be the main culprit causing the lean condition that is an quick swap (besides fuel filter)? Is the FPR prone to failure?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have seen people talk about using those MSD pumps but I never have. They are only rated at running around 45psi if I recall correctly. You definitely need to beg, borrow, or steel a fuel pressure gauge you can put on the rail with enough lead that you can slide it under your windshield wipers and watch it as you drive. This could be causing a lot of your issues. Obviously if you don't have enough fuel and you keep getting on it, you are going to have another issue - needing another 5.3.

added: even a fuel pressure tester from autozone or a buddy would be fine to just screw onto the shrader valve and place where you can see it for testing. Don't really need to build one into the vehicle if you dont want. Although, I think a -4an premade line, -4an to 1/8 female NPT and a small 0-100 psi gauge would be all thats needed and 5 minutes to install if you wanted a permanent one...not a bad idea IMHO
Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
I have seen people talk about using those MSD pumps but I never have. They are only rated at running around 45psi if I recall correctly. You definitely need to beg, borrow, or steel a fuel pressure gauge you can put on the rail with enough lead that you can slide it under your windshield wipers and watch it as you drive. This could be causing a lot of your issues. Obviously if you don't have enough fuel and you keep getting on it, you are going to have another issue - needing another 5.3.

added: even a fuel pressure tester from autozone or a buddy would be fine to just screw onto the shrader valve and place where you can see it for testing. Don't really need to build one into the vehicle if you dont want. Although, I think a -4an premade line, -4an to 1/8 female NPT and a small 0-100 psi gauge would be all thats needed and 5 minutes to install if you wanted a permanent one...not a bad idea IMHO
Thanks, I will give that a shot today. Do the FPRs have a bad track record or should I be suspected the delivery system first if I have a issue?

EDIT: My fuel pump is actually a Summit branded pump good for 85PSI and 500HP. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3138/

Last edited by madmaro00; 08-25-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't had any issues with the truck FPRs but anything can go bad. I have had lots of issues over the years with any cheaper fuel pumps though. Had more of the offbrand and Airtex/ Autozone etc pumps go bad or be bad right off the bat than I can count. Hard to beat a good Delphi/ AC-Delco or Walbro pump. Get a gauge on it just to rule that out. If the pressure is low and you suggest the regulator, cap off or block the return and see what the fuel pressure does, this will point your problem to either the regulator (pressure goes up) or the pump (pressure doesnt really change)
Old 08-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Launching!

I drove it to the dealership after work (about 50 miles) and on the way the problem started clearing up more. By the time I got to the dealer it was non-existent. The dealer drove it and gave it the full check-up with the Tech2 to give me the warm fuzzies and the said everything is flawless. I'm so pumped, time to go turn and burn in the dunes! Thanks guys, Justin.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

post up some pics of this beast
Old 03-05-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread, but I just had almost the same issue as you... Your TB is either sticking, or your TPS is not adjusted properly.

Quick Reply: Idle & Hesitation Issues