Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to put intank fuel pump in a 20 Gallon tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Want to put intank fuel pump in a 20 Gallon tank

Here's what I want to do, I want to use a 70ish 20 gallon from the Ford side in my 55 Chevy truck, this tank will drop in between the frame rails, problem is I don't have the $$$$ to buy a aluminuim tank, so I was wondering it I could get this tank and modify it to house the 2001 LS1 fuel pump?

I have the tools to do this without issues. BTW, the tank would be new reducing the chance of causing a fire.

I've seen this type of mod done before but can't find the thread.

Tri5
Old 08-24-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

I've done it before by cutting the sender hole part out of a newer tank (3rd gen Camaro) and cutting a larger hole in the older tank, then welding the Camaro tank part to it. Then I just used the Camaro sender with pump. It's do-able, but you need to be a decent welder.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I've done it before by cutting the sender hole part out of a newer tank (3rd gen Camaro) and cutting a larger hole in the older tank, then welding the Camaro tank part to it. Then I just used the Camaro sender with pump. It's do-able, but you need to be a decent welder.
Good to know, I think I can do it or have a more exprienced welder do it for me. Do I need to weld baffles in the tank to prevent fuel starvation?
Any pics?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:15 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You might be thinking of this how to
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/716267/3

If you use the new style plastic fuel pump bucket sender assembly then you will not need baffles. If you use a older 80`s style fuel pickup/pump assy, then yes you need baffles.

The newer ones are widely available in the wrecking yard. The shortest one I have found yet is about 6.5 inches of tank height and was used in the mid 90`s buick skylark. The tank is also steel so you could cut the locking ring out of it and weld it to the new tank
Old 08-25-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can also try the TanksINC.com retro fit setup..
Old 08-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Teching In

This isn't for the tank you have in mind, but assuming the depth of the tanks are similar or you find the correct depth pump with this flange this could come in handy. You need a 6" flat spot on the tank and it's a lot less welding. Only 4 tacks are needed.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G-Body
You might be thinking of this how to
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/716267/3

If you use the new style plastic fuel pump bucket sender assembly then you will not need baffles. If you use a older 80`s style fuel pickup/pump assy, then yes you need baffles.

The newer ones are widely available in the wrecking yard. The shortest one I have found yet is about 6.5 inches of tank height and was used in the mid 90`s buick skylark. The tank is also steel so you could cut the locking ring out of it and weld it to the new tank
Thanks G-Body,
I have the later model (2001 LS1) pickup/pump assy, so I don't need to get something with baffles?
The tank I'm looking at is 9.75" deep which I would need to make a plate for the pump of about 2" to make this work.

Can the intank bucket be compress a little? or should it have the total height of the pump assy?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greg75vette
This isn't for the tank you have in mind, but assuming the depth of the tanks are similar or you find the correct depth pump with this flange this could come in handy. You need a 6" flat spot on the tank and it's a lot less welding. Only 4 tacks are needed.
That's a nice bracket set, how is that installed? You say 4 tack welds, how is it done?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope, you won`t need baffles. The sender can be compressed a bit, there should be springs on the supports that will push it to the bottom of the tank. I don`t know offhand, what the minumum height for a f-body sender is.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G-Body
Nope, you won`t need baffles. The sender can be compressed a bit, there should be springs on the supports that will push it to the bottom of the tank. I don`t know offhand, what the minumum height for a f-body sender is.
Just measured it and the minimum height is 9 3/8", the tank depth is 9 3/4" so it should work.

The link you provided is a good, I know I saw another mod where they weld a cut out of a metal tank bracket in the new tank.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tri5Nerd
That's a nice bracket set, how is that installed? You say 4 tack welds, how is it done?

Thanks
There was a little link right under the description and options pull down menu to there project build. There are some good shots. Here is the direct link. Give Dan (at vetteworks) a call and I'm sure he can help you out. I will most likely be going with this set up myself. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Want to put intank fuel pump in a 20 Gallon tank