Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Headers / GMPP conversion pan ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock Headers / GMPP conversion pan ?

Hey guys,
Has anyone used the Edelbrock Mount Plate/Header kit for a 71 Chevelle with the GMPP Muscle Car Oil Pan kit (pn 19212593) ?? The mounts and the pan work great, I have them mocked up in my 71 and the next step is going to be headers. Edelbrock states that thiers is for use with the Milodon pan that uses a remote oil filter. The GM pan has the filter in the stock LS location. Just starting to research the header deal and figured this would be one palce to ask for sure

Thanks,
Old 09-22-2009, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

When you say you have it mocked up, does that mean that the motor is bolted in and the pan on? If so, then that pan should be hanging below the xmember which most people are not willing to risk. The Milodon pan, or the Autokraft pan (which doesn't use the remote filter) do not hang below the xmember.

I don't believe the headers would conflict with either pan in any way; the issue is the pan being exposed. I have attached a couple of pics for you of my 72 Chevelle which has the Edelbrock kit and Autokraft pan.
Attached Thumbnails Edelbrock Headers / GMPP conversion pan ?-p1010365.jpg   Edelbrock Headers / GMPP conversion pan ?-p1010366.jpg  
Old 09-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Teching In

clm,
I dont really see a problem. The pan does come below the crossmember about an inch, but that is nowhere near as far as my 7 qt Moroso did with the 355 Small BLock. I have driven it and drag raced it that way for 38 years and never had an issue. Heck, my Hooker super comps hang down further than that I guess if you were slamming the car down and planned to hit a lot of speed bumps, it would be an issue. My main concern with the headers was the oil filter area but if they work ok with the Autokraft pan with the filter in the stock location, they should be good to go. Your engine seems to be a lot further up off the crossmember than mine, but maybe not ? I will have to walk out into the garage later and take a peek.

Did you get the complete kit with the exhaust also ? If so, how do you like it ?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Overall, the fit and the quality is very good. I had two issues with my installation. The drivers side header came into conflict with the block off plate above the filter (which may be unique to the Autokraft pan). I originally tried to use the one from my F body pan but it wouldn't work so I fabricated one and it works fine. I also had to shim the pass side motor mount 1/2" due to the #8 header pipe came into contact with the frame. This is probably due to the frame sag that these cars suffer from.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My swap with a CTS-V pan hangs down below the X-Member about 1"+... my car is lower some.. And I can tell you I have scraped Speed Bump Asphalt off of the Oil Pan and my Edelbrock Heads are flatten some on the bottom tubes.

I can only image how much more I'd be scraping off if that LH8 hung any lower..
Old 09-25-2009, 01:56 AM
Staging Lane

i just got thru installing an lh8 pan with edelbrock headers on a 71 myself... i used trans dapt plates and energy small block mounts... the pan hangs about 2" below the cross member and the headers fit with the mounts i used. its an ls7 with th400

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Headers / GMPP conversion pan ?