Sponsored by:

fuel system question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel system question

Hey guys,
I just started my 68 camaro engine swap. I have an LS1 crate motor with a 228 cam from TSP and a P.P intake and fuel rails. other than that the motor is stock.
I have 2 questions about the fuel system, the first one is can i do my system this way:

Tank pickup-filter-pump-filter-rails-FPR-back to tank.

this is the way i did my fuel system on my drag mustang. can i do the same thing to this motor. I don't like the idea of controlling the pressure before the rails.

The second question:
my tank has a good pickup in it (made for road racing) but it doesn't have a return. Is it ok if i Tee the return from the FPR to the pump inlet?
OR do i have to weld a return bung in the tank?
Old 09-24-2009, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the way i have my system set up, as long as you can plumb your rails accordingly that setup should be fine, i like the idea of regulating afterwards as well.

I would run some sort of return to your tank, otherwise you'll just be recirculating hot fuel again and again, you might end up with vapor lock issues or premature pump wear.

I'd either weld a bung into it or you could use a bulkhead fitting i guess, not sure if any sanctioning bodies would have a problem with that
like this one

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-670870/

hope this helps
jon

forgot to add: plan on mounting your return up high in the tank, some people have had pressure regulating problems with returns that are low in the tank, your pump is having to push the returned fuel against the natural pressure from the weight of the fuel

Last edited by cooks 7; 09-24-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you,
I'll try this bulkhead fitting instead of welding. Will i need to add a vent port in the tank? i don't think the factory cap is vented.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need some sort of vent, again to avoid vapor lock issues, you'll need to allow air to fill the tank as fuel leaves, as well as relieve any vapor pressure from hot fuel. Look around I beleive someone makes a bulkhead fitting style rollover valve(then you won't leak any fuel if you flip your car onto your roof).
Good luck!