Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inline fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inline fuel pumps

I have been reading threads about fuel systems and have some ideas. I'm swapping an LS1 into a Nissan 240sx and plan on running an inline fuel pump to a corvette filter/regulator. I was wondering which pumps were recommended in this situation? I plan on running 3/8 steel line, this LS1 is stock right now, but I might upgrade the engine later on. I saw the Walbro stuff but i don't like that metric thread most of their pumps seem to have. Any have plain SAE fittings?
Old 09-27-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Aeromotive A1000 pump is rated for continous duty. There are a LOT of different pumps that will supply plenty of fuel, but the majority of them aren't made for the continous duty of street driving.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have a metric automobile with a metric engine, but you don't want metric threads on the fuel pump?

The walbro or bosch pump is the way to go for your set up The A1000 is suppose to be a nice pump, but I don't know. It has way more capacity than you will need and is more than 3 times as much.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

they make a metric to an adapter for the walbro pump
Old 09-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Teching In

ml4te5ch4

My LS1 test stand fuel system with the Walbro 255lph pump and Corvette regulator/filter. I also have a paper pre-filter which is designed for a carb but is perfect for this use. Fuel pressure with engine off - 5min as it slowly drops off. the last picture are the fittings you can buy from this web site for the Walbro pump - pretty cool. I also purchased Swagelok compression fittings and they work absolutely perfectly. The fuel line you see is rated for FI on the pressure side of the pump. The feed and return is not as the pressure requirements are low. I bought my pump from Jegs for $99 which seemed to have the best prices. As a side note the pump is very quiet for an external pump but after I hit the ignition I don't hear that anymore!

http://www.fuel-pumps.net/500.html
Attached Thumbnails Inline fuel pumps-fuel-system.jpg   Inline fuel pumps-fuel-pressure-engine-off.jpg   Inline fuel pumps-fittingimages.jpg  

Last edited by Danno74Z; 09-28-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Why not just run a in tank walbro 255? Just curios. If your going external, I would recommend the bosch 044 inline over the Aeromotive or walbro external.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadave76
Why not just run a in tank walbro 255? Just curios. If your going external, I would recommend the bosch 044 inline over the Aeromotive or walbro external.
the bosch pumps are nice but they are double the money of a walbro and only $100 less than an aeromotive. If you are going to spend that much then just get an aeromotive EFI pump. Looks alot like an A1000 but is rated for less GPM and is less money. JMHO
Old 09-29-2009, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the bosch 044, aeromotives are overkill for a stock motor (or a mildly built one)and are a lot louder. Haven't played with walbro, i know a lot of people do though, the bosch is an OEM pump so quality is supposedly very good and will support up to 700hp i beleive. There are a fair amount of people with problems with their a1000s. Do some searching before you go that route. A company called Jay racing has the 044 pump and adapters to get you to AN line sizes, fittings are always going to be a headache, going from hardline to braided and one size to another, so i wouldn't let that aspect sway you away or towards any pump in particular, it's best to make a drawing of your system and map out sizes so you can order the correct adapters/fittings, ect.
good luck

as a side note: aeromotive recommends using one of their fuel pump regulators if you use a a1000 on the street, otherwise the pump heats the fuel too much and can cause vapor lock and premature pump failure, the controller is big money too, just for consideration

Last edited by cooks 7; 09-29-2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-29-2009, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Danno74Z
ml4te5ch4

My LS1 test stand fuel system with the Walbro 255lph pump and Corvette regulator/filter. I also have a paper pre-filter which is designed for a carb but is perfect for this use. Fuel pressure with engine off - 5min as it slowly drops off. the last picture are the fittings you can buy from this web site for the Walbro pump - pretty cool. I also purchased Swagelok compression fittings and they work absolutely perfectly. The fuel line you see is rated for FI on the pressure side of the pump. The feed and return is not as the pressure requirements are low. I bought my pump from Jegs for $99 which seemed to have the best prices. As a side note the pump is very quiet for an external pump but after I hit the ignition I don't hear that anymore!

http://www.fuel-pumps.net/500.html
I dont suppose you want to show a couple more pics/info on your test engine stand by chance??! Looks pretty cool to me!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help and info guys!

Quick Reply: Inline fuel pumps