Sponsored by:

Steam lines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Steam lines?

Hey guys,

I have a small roll of 3/16" NiCopp line arriving today so that I can finish up my rear brake lines. I won't be using all of it, so I've started wondering if that would work for my steam lines, or would it likely be too small??

Thanks guys!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Should work fine for steam lines. That's about the size they are from the factory.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Outstanding, thanks Bandit. Nice to have something work out so that I don't have to spend more money for once...
Old 03-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Hey, does anyone have any suggestions as to which fittings I need to use in order to connect my NiCopp lines to my steam fittings?? My engine is an L92 FWIW.

I thought that I had that info saved, but the file that I saved a lot of that data in has apparently gotten corrupted, & I don't have it in my PMs. Finally, I've tried doing a search through topics that contain the word steam, but although I've learned a lot of good "theory", I haven't learned how to use hard line/tubing with my steam ports.

Also - I assume that I'll need to flare the tubing, but I'm not sure which type of flare to create...

Thanks in advance guys, I appreciate any help.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Likely much easier/cheaper just to use clamped hose/fittings to connect that, fwiw. If just want to use hard line, I understand.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you are at it: add a bleed valve at the highest point for smooth filling of coolant and elimination of air pockets.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

How do attach the new lines to the blocks?

Stampede.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cheese Weasel
Also - I assume that I'll need to flare the tubing, but I'm not sure which type of flare to create...
That depends entirely on what type of fitting you use. The stock steam lines are all brazed together. The rear ports are capped because they aren't used. There is some technical info out there someplace on blocked rear vs. 4 connected steam lines if you look hard enough and plenty of debate on the subject, but the factory has not used a 4 port steam setup in a factory application since the early LS days. From the factory the rear ports are only there to make the heads interchangeable left to right.

You can get adapter blocks that will allow you to use AN fittings, in which case you would use a 37* flare. there are also fittings that use NPT, in which case you could either adapt to 37* AN flare or you could adapt to 45* inverted flare (which is most likely what you used for your brake lines. There are also kits that include all the fittings and lines.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Likely much easier/cheaper just to use clamped hose/fittings to connect that, fwiw. If just want to use hard line, I understand.
Yeah, I've seen the kits from Earl's & Holley that use the AN fittings & hose, but I'm just a bit leery of the hose. I know that with fuel, a lot of the hoses start to allow vapors to pass through them after a couple of years, & I'm fairly confident that I'd need to rebuild/replace those hoses after 2 or 3 or 4 years as well. I just feel like hard lines are likely to be more durable/less work overall, even if they involve a little bit more work up-front.

Originally Posted by freda155
When you are at it: add a bleed valve at the highest point for smooth filling of coolant and elimination of air pockets.
GREAT idea, thank you!!

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
How do attach the new lines to the blocks?

Stampede.
This is exactly the question that I have. On my lunch hour today, I found a set of NPT adapters for LSx steam lines - but they're sized at 1/8" instead of the 3/16" that I have!!

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
That depends entirely on what type of fitting you use. The stock steam lines are all brazed together. The rear ports are capped because they aren't used. There is some technical info out there someplace on blocked rear vs. 4 connected steam lines if you look hard enough and plenty of debate on the subject, but the factory has not used a 4 port steam setup in a factory application since the early LS days. From the factory the rear ports are only there to make the heads interchangeable left to right.

You can get adapter blocks that will allow you to use AN fittings, in which case you would use a 37* flare. there are also fittings that use NPT, in which case you could either adapt to 37* AN flare or you could adapt to 45* inverted flare (which is most likely what you used for your brake lines. There are also kits that include all the fittings and lines.
Thanks for yet another great answer Clint, that at least gives me a direction to go. I want to connect my stock/existing steam ports to the NiCopp hard line, & then plumb that to the aftermarket radiator that I'll be buying shortly, so I'll start by looking into "45* inverted flare" fittings, with the hope that I don't need to use 17 different adapters on each side...
Old 03-06-2018, 06:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Remember - all hard line between something fixed (rad) and something that moves (engine) is a recipe for breaking something over time...that's why radiator hoses, brake lines, power steering, a/c, fuel lines, etc. all have a flexible component somewhere. And, fwiw, small hydrocarbon molecules finding their way through non-barricaded hose (not the right type to use with fuel btw) is an entirely different thing than steam/water finding it's way through...

BTW, the polished cunifer lines can look really good under the hood.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with Michael. Whatever you end up with, you will want to use a soft line between the steam lines and the radiator.

I used the OEM steam line for a 2010 Camaro. Not to step on anyone's toes, but other than cosmetics, I don't see any reason to do otherwise.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I was worried in my 5.3 Swap because I read that when installed into trucks the 5.3 does not tilt forward, it is tiled to the rear. Meaning they may have blocked the rear steam ports because air would naturally wander forward to the higher place.

In my install, the engine is nearly flat, no tilt. I used 4-corner steam lines from an LS1 for insurance against issues. You read too many threads where #7 went "hot".

Put the line into the upper radiator tank, I drill a hole and weld an aluminum fitting in there.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Remember - all hard line between something fixed (rad) and something that moves (engine) is a recipe for breaking something over time...
I agree with Michael. Whatever you end up with, you will want to use a soft line between the steam lines and the radiator.
Yep, that's absolutely a good point, & I'd planned on probably using about 3" or so of this rubber fuel line that I still have laying around for that purpose. Thanks for the reminder.

I used the OEM steam line for a 2010 Camaro. Not to step on anyone's toes, but other than cosmetics, I don't see any reason to do otherwise.
I might look at that, depending on how much the 45* flare fittings add up to...

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
I was worried in my 5.3 Swap because I read that when installed into trucks the 5.3 does not tilt forward, it is tilted to the rear. Meaning they may have blocked the rear steam ports because air would naturally wander forward to the higher place.

In my install, the engine is nearly flat, no tilt. I used 4-corner steam lines from an LS1 for insurance against issues. You read too many threads where #7 went "hot".
Yeah, I could definitely see being a little bit nervous about that - & adding the rear two steam lines only adds a bit to the cost, & a tiny bit of weight, but could potentially save your bacon.

I'm not entirely certain whether I'll open up the rear holes & vent all four, but this engine has been built for boost, & I want to run some road courses & open-road events, so temperature control definitely IS a concern...

Put the line into the upper radiator tank, I drill a hole and weld an aluminum fitting in there.
Welding aluminum isn't an option for me (I only have a MIG), but thankfully the radiator that I have my eye on already has the fitting in place.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Yep, that's absolutely a good point, & I'd planned on probably using about 3" or so of this rubber fuel line that I still have laying around for that purpose. Thanks for the reminder.
I would not use fuel line for a (relatively) high temp application. You need something designed to handle antifreeze at 250F and 20 psig or so. I used high temp/pressure/hydrocarbon rated black silicone hose on mine.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:24 PM
Launching!

I would not use fuel line for a (relatively) high temp application. You need something designed to handle antifreeze at 250F and 20 psig or so. I used high temp/pressure/hydrocarbon rated black silicone hose on mine.
Duly noted, thank you for catching that. (I don't know if it matters, but it's the high-pressure hose with the liner - but I'm guessing that's probably irrelevant.)

Thought that I'd note this just in case anyone's following this thread hoping to learn what fittings I used - turns out I don't need to get any. I just went out to the garage to double-check exactly what I needed, & found that my engine already has the steam lines installed, I just need to connect the vertical pipe fitting to the radiator.

(And yes, it is somewhat annoying that my mis-remembering caused me to waste a bit of time & effort trying to fix a non-existent problem...)
Old 03-06-2018, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

(And yes, it is somewhat annoying that my mis-remembering caused me to waste a bit of time & effort trying to fix a non-existent problem...)
Well, look at it this way; at least you're mentally prepared in case it is ever an existent problem! lol
Old 03-06-2018, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

FWIW pretty much all sprint cars use Aeroquipe or Goodrich braided hose for the cooling system. Never had a issue not caused by severe impact...
Old 03-07-2018, 06:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Old 03-07-2018, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

I was worried in my 5.3 Swap because I read that when installed into trucks the 5.3 does not tilt forward, it is tiled to the rear. Meaning they may have blocked the rear steam ports because air would naturally wander forward to the higher place.

I'm curious to hear more about this. I read at some point that opening the rear ports reduces the coolant flow circulating rear to front, which normally would strip trapped steam pockets/bubbles from other areas in the heads. Therefore opening the four ports instead of using just two could, in theory, create hot pockets in other areas of the heads and lead to issues. I have no idea if there's truth to this. I tend to agree with your approach if the engine sits roughly level.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm curious to hear more about this. I read at some point that opening the rear ports reduces the coolant flow circulating rear to front, which normally would strip trapped steam pockets/bubbles from other areas in the heads. Therefore opening the four ports instead of using just two could, in theory, create hot pockets in other areas of the heads and lead to issues. I have no idea if there's truth to this. I tend to agree with your approach if the engine sits roughly level.
Put clear lines on the steam ports, you will see where bubbles go. The front and back get the same water pump pressure so flow is the same in both. Air only goes up against gravity, it flows with the water pump, and can only be stuck anywhere there is no flow or a pocket of turbulence, like in a dead end.

Yall are lookin at it from the wrong angle. Having more water flow out of an engine fro mmore places and into the radiator without having to upgrade anything is a bonus. We should be using every port on the engine to take hot coolant out as quickly as we can. If I was into serious racing I might even be looking to enlarge those ports, enlarge all the hoses and cooling passages, and even maybe drill some new ones and make new hoses for coolant to get out of the engine in a hurry and into the radiator. If you look at 2000 horsepower 3.0L and similar you will see some crazy huge lines coming off the heads for coolant that wasn't there before. You call these things "steam port" well I call them "extra cooling passages that I would be stupid not to use".