Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i know this is the wrong place to post this

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default i know this is the wrong place to post this

guys, please dont flame me to hard for posting this here but this section is were the mad genius scientists like us hang out, so if someone can help figure this problem out i figure it would be here.

from working on my new toy, an 84 z28 (i just need a daily driver cuz my ls1 stang is probably not good in the snow and has no heat) i have learned that the ls1 is easier to work on than this crap computer controlled carb dinasour.

here's the problem........ i cant set my timing because there is a wire under the hood or should i say suppossed to be (tan w/ blk stripe). this wire you disconnect like disconnecting the vaccum on an hei dist. to set your base timing. some jack *** hacked this car up removing all the smog stuff thinking they could make it go faster. and they cut this wire!!!!! they also cut the o2 wire which i did find and connect and a bunch of other crap.

so the haynes manual does not have any wiring diagrams for the carbed cars????? only the fuel injected ones! and i did find a wiring schematic on austins third gen http://www.austinthirdgen.org/mkport...ine_wiring.gif that helped my find most of my problems. but i cant find this dang wire anywhere and to be honest i am not so sure i know how it is suppossed to be hooked up. the diagram i found shows a tan w/blk at pin 11 wich goes to the igniton module in the distributer, so i though that the connection was supposed to be inline on that wire even though the diagram doesnt show a connector, just a straight line.

i was hoping some had alldata (i dont anymore) and could shed some light on this. the weird thing is on my car (the 84 z28) pin 11 is not tan w/blk... its just tan. if i had the wire under the hood i could just probe at the ecm but since i cant find the one under the hood and its not even the right color at the ecm and getting pissed and stumped.

maybe someone here pulled there stock harness out when doing a conversion and still has it and can help with some info (if you close buy im buying the beer).

thanks for any help anyone can lend.

leon
Old 09-30-2009, 12:17 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With the LG4 305 in my el camino I didn`t have the connector on the tan/blk wire, I had to disconnect the whole 4 pin connector from the distributor. Based on the diagram I found on autozones website it looks like the tan/ blk wire goes to the connector on your distributor so you should be able to find it there.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

if thats true then that could confirm my other fear. that the ecm is toast. when i connect my diagnostic scanner to it the scanner says no data available and then says connect cable. if the ecm is junk then i wouldnt get any timing advance and it would run super rich and just dump fuel probably as a safety to limp home......

i dug through my spare stuff and found a vacuum dist. that i forgot i had so i think im just going to scrounge up a used edelbrock and call it a day. thanks though for the help.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was gonna tell you to do that. There really is no point in polishing a turd. Put a non computer HEI on it and a non feedback q-jet. It will be far more reliable that way. I cant say it will do much better in the snow than your stang though.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brown wire sticks out of the harness right above the heater box. That harness goes down behind the inner fender and into the interior bulkhead at the passenger side kick panel. Chances are the cut end of that wire is tucked right into the harness loom above the heater box, so try pulling that apart and see if you can find it. If not, work your way back to the bulkhead connector until you find it, and wire it where it needs to go.

Or pull the quadrajunk off and put another carb on, but keep in mind that for all it's faults, the stock quadrajunk is a decent carb and allows for reasonable fuel economy.

As for snow driving, put about 100lbs of weight in the rear well, and run good snow tires on the back. It'll surprise you how good it is. I drove a thirdgen through the winter for a number of years, and as long as you've got weight and snows, they're very good.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

i used to drive my 95 z28 in the snow w/ four toyo observe snows and it was awsome in the snow. i plan on putting a posi in this one and 4 good snows.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hum. Sounds like fun. I think I'll stick with my Jeep.

Quick Reply: i know this is the wrong place to post this