Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on power steering hoses???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question question on power steering hoses???

what hoses did any of you guys use on your power steering? doing a 1st gen camaro swap with ls1 and iroc gear box, went to local parts stores an napa and they cant get the correct fittings to make the hose said they were discontinued.. how did you do it?? the factory ls1 hoses will bolt righ up to the gearbox but they are to short and need differnt angle on the hard lone.. any input??
Old 10-01-2009, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

if napa wont help then try street& peformance. thats where i got the metric to standard fittings to make it work
Old 10-01-2009, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

or go to a hydraulics shop. they should be able to fab you up something.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

I just swapped my 67 Freibird over to an LS1 and added the IROC steering box at the same time. I bought a pressure side hose for a 4th Gen F body from Oreilly's for $12 and used the end that would normally go to the rack on the pump and straightened the hard tubing on the other end and connected it to the steering box. I put the entire hose in a bucket of water(to keep it cool while I heated the other end) except for the end I wanted to straighten and I heated it with a propane torch and made it straight with a 90 degree bend at the end to connect with the steering box. Works like a champ and was pretty inexpensive to boot, but I guess I do have to factor in the $2 bucket I accidentily melted a hole in!
Old 10-04-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

You can also convert both the power steering pump and the steering rack to AN fittings. Earls makes the right o-ring adapters for this. I then went to a local industrial hydraulic hose store and they made me the right hoses, per my specs.

Andrew
Old 10-04-2009, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thumbs up to steve... i put the iroc steering gear in my '71 nova, haven't done the PS hoses yet. looks like i will be following your advice.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

I recently plumbed my power steering pump and trans cooler for my conversion.

I bought braze or weld-on AN-6 male adapters for hard tube for about 50 cents each from hosepower.com

I cut the factory fitting a couple inches down form the fitting and silver soldered the An-6 adapter to it.

I plumbed the low pressure lines with 3/8" aluminum tube flared with a Parker Rolo-flair tool and used JIC 37deg steel fittings

For the one piece of high pressure line to the rack from the pump, I'm either going to buy one from the local hydraulic hose fab shop or get one off of ebay (search AN-6 hose). If it ever blows, I just need a replacement hose I can get at any hose shop. Whichever route you go you need to make sure the hose can take 1500 psi (i think the relief is set at 1200 or so on most TC pumps)
Old 10-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power steering hoses

Buy the AN adapter from Russell for the pump and using the teflon lined high pressure hose and -6 AN 90 degree fitting come down and under the pump.

There are -6 adapters for the sterring box. The return side can be regular -6 hose.

Much better looking than any NAPA hose.

Quick Reply: question on power steering hoses???