Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into 55 buick

Old 10-02-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 into 55 buick

Hey all,
Im new to this forum.
Looking for some advice for transplanting a LS1 into my 55 buick. i Have an engine on the way with 4l60e trans. will this trans be suitable for a 2 tonne cruiser?
I thought sticking with this trans would eliminate alot of loom & computer mods? am i on the right track here, or would it be better to go with the older turbo 700 & do the mods to the loom and PCM?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for wiring mods to the loom? in this case of a stand alone setup into an old vehicle rather than another commodore.

Is there anything else i will need to track down for the conversion out of a donor car. The package im getting is a motor with all accessories, trans, loom & PCM.

Any advice welcome
Cheers
Old 10-03-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Forum. First tip I have for you is read through the Stickys at the top of the page. It will answer many of your questions, including ones you did not know you had. There are several options for your wiring. You can modify the existing harness yourself using the info in the Stickys, you can send the harness to someone like Speartech and have them modify it for you. Will come back nice and neat with everything labeled, or you can have a new harness built for you if you need custom lengths or want a show quality harness. Speartech and others can do that too. You will need to have some reprogramming done to your computer to remove the anti-theft(VATS) and make adjustments for any smog control that you remove. At the same time you can have some basic tuning done to improve performance. I am a fan of John at Speartech.com, he is very helpful and responds quickly to questions.

The 4L60E will push your Buick around just fine for general use. Good idea to keep it. They are used in 1500 series trucks that weigh as much or more than your car and are often used to tow boats and other trailers.

The search feature is also very helpful here. Try those things and come on back with any specific questions. Great crowd here, willing to share their considerable knowledge and experience.

Good luck with your project, I think it is a great one!

Pat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 into 55 buick