back half
tubs
4 link
30x13 tires
full strange disk brakes
full cage
chute

thats just a rough listi have the trans and converter(8") already

this car has no title but there is another v6 camaro down the road. that doesnt run, but it has a title. can the title can be switched over to this car?... or will i have to just take the VIN and put it on this car? im sure i can but i need some input... not like i will drive it every day or weekend. but i would liek to bring it to some car shows , or just to say that the car is street leagel.. kinda

Old 10-05-2009, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It would be illegal to switch VIN with another car. They were doing that with some of the Kit cars and Shelby Mustangs (maybe others).. they got busted by the Feds.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought as long as the title place puts both vins on the title its not a vin swap. put two cars just to make one.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Illegal

As stated earlier you cannot do that the reason being the original V.I.N. is stamped in at least 5 different hidden places throughout the car I have found on a 68 camaro the V.I.N. is stamped down inside the windshield wiper cowl you have to really look to find it, I also know it is stamped under the body by a seat belt mounting point, your local DMV will know the other places but they do not give this info out so as only they know where to look on certain vehicles to deter exactly what you are doing, as you do not know for sure your car is not stolen or it may have a lien on it, probably your best bet depending on how old the car is, is to apply for a title in a state that has title time limits, sometimes after 20-30 years you do not need the original title to title the car, they will accept just a Bill Of Sale. I had the same situation with a 1967 GTO and the DMV told me to bring it down to their station and they would check the secret hidden numbers but guess what if it comes up hot or with a lien you go back home with no car, I wasnt 100% sure on my car about it not being stolen or never know have a lien on it from some personal loan or something, so I sad No Thank You. I titled mine I believe in Kansas you can look through Hemmings Motor News and there are several places that offer these services for about $300.00 I got a years worth of plates and when they expired I re-registered it in Texas. Good Luck

Last edited by lizeec; 10-05-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't see how getting it titled in a different state will get around it being taken from you if it is stolen. the whole idea of titles is to get stolen propery back to whoever owns it.

You might try a carfax. Shouldn't that tell you if it is stolen or has a lien?

At any rate I wouldn't put a dime into it until you are certain it is clean. There was a story a year or so back about some fully restored vette that had legally changed hands a half dozen times that suddenly showed up as stolen when the state computerized all their old paper records. The guy who bought it legally and dumped a ton of money into restoring it had to give the car over to the guy it got stolen from. All he could do is try to recoup his loss from the guy he bought it from. The orignial owner couldn't believe his luck, getting the car back 40 years later in better shape than when it was stolen.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not worried about it if it dont have a clean tittle. its a junk yard car.... its going to be a race car anyway, so the car is goin to be gone through with a grinder. and gettin repainted

im still goin to see what i can do about the vin. not like they are watching me switch the vin codes through the satellites or someting ....... or are they ... EEK

Last edited by daryn c; 10-05-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you know the car isn't stolen then just go down and apply for a lost title.

sure easier then swapping VIN numbers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: something for the near future