Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dist. Conversion Parts List?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dist. Conversion Parts List?

Does anyone have a parts list on what is needed for the GMPP LS1 distributor conversion? Particularly looking for part numbers for the ATI balancer, and a mechanical waterpump...I know about the Ford dizzy and ATI pin kit. Also, how do you drive the alternator (only accessory I will need)?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

YOu don't have to use the parts they list in the instructions. The reason they say the ATI Dampner is that its a smaller diameter and will clear the extended length of the front cover. I went with a summit SFI approved balancer #SUM-C2502 it's a 25% underdriven unit and is small enought to clear the cover. The Alternator bracket you can get from BMR it's their low mount unit for the LS Series engine, however you won't be able to use it on most 6.0 or 5.3 Cast Iron motors. Water pumps is where it gets tricky. I didn't want to have to worry about belt drives and pulley alignment so I bought a meizere elecric water pump and built spacers out of blocks of aluminum to space it ou far enought to clear the front cover there are also some avaialable pre made at wergner but I like fabricaing stuff. By the time it was all said and dome the electric unit was $50-$75 cheaper than the mechanical unit that requires you to purchase their pulley setup as well. Do some research and you'll be able to come out cheaper in the long run.

Here is some pics of my project

http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/archi...live-quot.aspx
Old 10-12-2009, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Ya you could save money in the long run but is it worth it ?? Just buy the kit from wegner and be done with it. You will have more hair on your head and no head aches. Ya i payed a bunch but i`m vary happy.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=68lemans;12353031]Ya you could save money in the long run but is it worth it ?? Just buy the kit from wegner and be done with it. You will have more hair on your head and no head aches. Ya i payed a bunch but i`m vary happy.

Man prices have gone up on that stuff. I remember when I looked at the number it reffered to it was only slightly more than the electric pump. They want $1400 dollars for their set up and i've got about $1000 in mine including the distributor. I don't mind sitting and thinking things trough a little bit for $400 bucks. Like I said I like to make things so it didn't bother me a bit to make it work.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Ewww...who let the mustangs in here? . Thanks for the info guys, I'll get in touch with Wegner and see if they have any less expensive options than the $1400-$1500 they want for the kit that 68Lemans has. On their site there is a picture of an LS1 NASCAR engine that has a dist. conversion with different pulleys on it....I wonder what that setup goes for...

I kinda had it in my head that the distributor would be the cheaper way out....now its looking like I might be better off keeping the COP setup. Too bad MSD is the only company that makes controllers for it.....I wouldn't have MSD valvestem covers much less an ECM .

Thanks again! If anyone else has more info/ideas, I'm all ears.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

I bought the front mount distributor as a kit. It came with the ATI dampner, front cover, water pump, alternater mount, belt tensinor, pulleys, all bolts and belt $1,000 and i still needed to buy the Ford distributor and GM alternator. You can find barely used MSD ford 302 distributors cheap $100-150.

FYI the Mustang has a hydrolic roller cam and runs on 93 pump gas with 4 mufflers and is a daily driver going 9.88@138 mph
Old 10-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Teching In

You got it from Wegner? Cause they want $1500 just for the drive setup WITHOUT the front cover.

Badass car!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Yes i got it from Wagner but maybe they gave me a discount because i work at Roush.But this was a couple years ago........don`t tell Jack:-)

Last edited by 68lemans; 10-13-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dist. Conversion Parts List?