Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX454 in 67 Camaro??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX454 in 67 Camaro??

I drooled over the LSX454 crate engine in Memphis this weekend at the LSX shootout and got a LOT of info from a guy named Marty Morris at the GM/SDPC tent but i'm just curious if anyone in here has any "inside" info on the engine? I'll probably run the carb'd version and as far as i saw the LSX spark controller just reads cam/crank position and ECT correct? Just wondering if I'll have to run 8 coils or if the LSX controller from GM can be used with one coil from MSD or something? If 8 have to be ran i caw a company's booth that makes a plate to mount the 8 coils at the rear of the heads but I cant remember who makes the plate kit? Thanks guys.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 67-95Pilot
I drooled over the LSX454 crate engine in Memphis this weekend at the LSX shootout and got a LOT of info from a guy named Marty Morris at the GM/SDPC tent but i'm just curious if anyone in here has any "inside" info on the engine? I'll probably run the carb'd version and as far as i saw the LSX spark controller just reads cam/crank position and ECT correct? Just wondering if I'll have to run 8 coils or if the LSX controller from GM can be used with one coil from MSD or something? If 8 have to be ran i caw a company's booth that makes a plate to mount the 8 coils at the rear of the heads but I cant remember who makes the plate kit? Thanks guys.
If you run the MSD 6010 or 6012 box you just need the crank sensor and cam sensor (MAP sensor is up to you, the MSD harness has the conector for the MAP sensor but you dont have to run it if you dont want to). Most of these ignition controlers are set up for the coil on plug design, and the harness plugs right into the coil packs. As you said there are plenty of company's that offer coil relocation kits. You can also run the front distributor kit that GMPP offers.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You want the 8 coils. You will get a more consistent spark that way.

8 coils are pricey, but nothing compared to the buy in price on the LSX454.
Try a search on the relocation brackets. I have seen several.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Not tobe cheap since it is a $10k enigne but will getting 8 used coils work fine or should be a hotter variety?? Either way dosnt matter but damn MSD is married to theirs. I've yet to see the LSX controller up close and personal besides GM's catalog anyone seen or know of a better picture to look at? I'm REALLY interested in this engine for my car and I'm an avid LS fan even though my GTO is my only LS car I'm just a nnewbie to the LSX stuff.