Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure problem

ok so i finally got to fire up my 5.3 in my rx7 yesterday. the problem is there is no oil pressure at all. i dropped the pan today and put a new O ring on the pick up tube cause i heard that could be an issue and still no pressure.i dont think the motor is bad but is it common for a oil pump to go bad?

you can hear it towards the end of the video.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most if not all of the of the problems are related to 1) the O-Ring (rip, flip, incorrect one), 2) Pick up not positioned correctly (Too close to the bottom of the pan) or 3) the pickup tube flange is not seated in the Oil pump flush. (check on BRP, they have a solution. it is a there Oil Pick Up Tube Girdle).

What I also did was fill the oil pump with STP or Gear oil to help seal the pump internal and help it start sucking the oil up the tube.

Where are you measuring oil pressure ?

Good luck, I also had a problem on starting up.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Resident

oh i have a aftermarket oil pressure gauge goin into where the original oil pressure sensor goes. plus i pulled the oil cap off and didnt see any oil up on the top of the heads.

whats BRP?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

i went thru this on my first LS engine, instead of the pump sitting in oil like the gen 1, it sits up front trying to pull oil rather than push it-on the first one, i had to add extra oil, jack up the rear real high to try and let some run up the pickup, then it worked
on this last one, i filled the pump with trans assemb. grease, it made pressure just cranking the engine w/o sparkplugs
at the front of the engine on the d/s, theres a plug that i think has a valley right to the pump, you could prob pour some heavy oil in and prime it
dont forget to replace the plug-good luck
Old 10-22-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Don't panic yet. If your engine was a pull out that set for a while it may be a dry pump that will not prime exactly what force is saying. I had my engine pulled 3 times put on multipule o-rings double bolted it (they now make a kit) and rtv'd it and still no pressure. I then began to think I had a bad pump. To find out if the pump was the problem I filled my crank case with 19 qts of cheap 5w30 oil this put oil in the pump and ran out the plug on the lower front of the drivers side which is just past the pumps outlet. I pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked the engine over and had almost instant pressure on the guage. I then drained it and put in the proper amount of quality oil and have been driving it ever sense over 10k thus far. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Anymore I always just pull the plugs and crank it over with no fuel or spark for a bit. Sometimes I even pull the oil sender out as a bleed of sorts and crank til oil comes out. Then reinstall and crank a little more and it will usually make 20psi or so on the cranking. These are with my junkyard engines. Once its there I put the plugs in and let her rip.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

ok well had my pops buy me a little battery charger today and got to crank it. oh yeah got woken up this morning at like 8am cause they said there was oil ALL OVER the driveway, when i went out there was a little puddle under the car.so i put like 15qtz of oil in it.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure problem